Laid-off

-

camd64

Remember Landy
Reaction score
So, after six years working at the local auto parts house I was let go. I wasn't really shocked since I made the most money there and they had already resorted to knocking hours off everyone. I looks as if that particular store won't be around much longer. The economy sucks right now so what else is there really to say. This will be the first time in my life I will have to collect unemployment, yikes.

Right now I'm thinking of going back to wrenching full time but obviously whatever keeps my rent paid is what I need. Some of my friends are already calling me up about work they need done to there cars so between that and unemployment I should be ok for a bit. Maybe this is the chance for me to finally do something different. :-?

Sorry to hear that, My body shop closed up so I am in the same boat you are in. Good luck finding something.

I got laid off as well. 12 years working at the same auto paint shop. I'm now going to school full time for something else. I figured, what the hell. Might as well do something else now.

Oh man, I feel your pain. I was laid off on 3/10 from a job I had for over 5 1/2 years and I too have to collect unemployment for the first time in my life at 43 yrs.

Don't let it get you depressed. You may not think you will (I didn't) but it really got to me after the second week without work.

I hope you find something full time soon and the best of luck to you. :)

P.S. I had a possible employer call me for a quick phone interview this morning which they then followed up with a request for an assesment test this past afternoon which I'm pretty sure I aced. I just hope they call me in for a personal interview.

Oh man, I feel your pain. I was laid off on 3/10 from a job I had for over 5 1/2 years and I too have to collect unemployment for the first time in my life at 43 yrs.

Don't let it get you depressed. You may not think you will (I didn't) but it really got to me after the second week without work.

I hope you find something full time soon and the best of luck to you. :)

P.S. I had a possible employer call me for a quick phone interview this morning which they then followed up with a request for an assesment test this past afternoon which I'm pretty sure I aced. I just hope they call me in for a personal interview.

Thats great!!! But just don't let them know about your David Hasselhoff addiction.

Yes this economy sucks right now. Monday has been 8 weeks since I have been laid off and this is the first time in my life as well. I am located in York, Pa. and if anyone knows of any companies hiring in my area please let me know.

Sorry to hear that and feel your pain here too.. have been of since Sept from a motor home company i work at for 5 1/2 years.. Went to truck driving school and have been out of there for 2 months and still can't find anything..Dopn't give up, just try to enjoy a little time off

Thanks everyone. tonight i'm going to buff up on my resume skills, we will see what happens.

ramcharger-good luck with the possible new job!

360scamp-all I can say is, Damn. the pics from the random thread.. :vom:

Thats great!!! But just don't let them know about your David Hasselhoff addiction.

I'm more worried that through an extensive background check they may find that I associate with someone with a life size poster of a nekked Grumpy Jenkins in his garage. :-? lol!

Thanks everyone. tonight i'm going to buff up on my resume skills, we will see what happens.

Make that resume and read it over, revise it, repeat, show it to someone you trust, revise it again, etc. A custom cover letter highlighting your work ethic, personality and skills pertinent to the job always help too. It details other facets of you as person that a resume can't portray. Keep a copy of it and modify it on a per job basis.

Some types of jobs will ask for "Salary Requirements". This is just a list of who you worked for and what you made on an hourly or yearly basis.

Compile a list of personal and professional references with phone numbers. Some companies ask for one or the other or even both. Figure on at least three of each.

I have well over 50 resume's and cover letters out there right now and have received a total of 2 earnest responses. Don't let that get you down, you may have better luck depending on what the market has availible in your area. It's tough out there and nothings easy right now. Guys with masters degrees in my field are slinging bags at the airport. Yes, I tried getting that job too, lol.

Companies are getting flooded with resume's and it's taking them quite some time to sort them out. The company that called me today I had applied to on 3/23 so patience is a virtue (of course, I don't the have the job yet, lol) :happy8:.

Another thing you've got to do is apply for UI right now and don't wait. It can take up to 6 weeks for state to process the application. Figure out a budget and cut it to the bone until you figure out what you might be getting from the state. You'll find you may have to cut it more. UI 'aint no free ride and typically equals 40% of your earnings averaged over three years. Get your immediate bills paid right away and stock the fridge. Make sure to leave money for next months rent.

Stay away from any "funny stuff" as almost all jobs I see require a drug test and some even require a hair folicle test. Good time to shave your head if you were ever so inclined, lol. :compress: Employers can pick and chose as there is a giant "Sale on Labor" going on right now in the US.

I hope this helps you, or someone else here survive and get a job. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to try to help. :thumblef: I can't imagine anyone here on this board looking for a "handout", but sometimes a "Hand Up" is greatly appreciated. In this vein, if you all would like and think it would be a good idea, I would gladly post a "Layoff Survival Guide" thread and put up everything I've learned so far to help all members get through this and find another job. :):sign7:

Woo-hoo!! I just got a call back and have an interview this Thursday @ 1 pm with the direct and regional managers!! They said I "did very well!" on the test and that "although this is an entry level postion, we don't see you being there very long judging by your experience and the pay scales up with advancement". These guys pay well to start and "Hire to keep our employees, we don't believe in turning over our people" in their own words!!

I'm totally psyched!! Solutions Engineer I job, here I come!!! I can't wait to meet these people!

Keep the positive mindset guys, work will come. Glad to hear the good news ramcharger.

Yes, way to go ramchager and congrats. Just remember your not alone camd64, stay positive. I was a realestate appraiser untill 2 years ago, when the crash started, just doing some home improvement now along with selling everything I own(except the hot rods and tools). I gonna start over somewere else.

Heres to hoping that all of you guys are able bounce back soon and find something even better than before.

:read2:

I am trully sorry to hear of your misfortune. (I was laid off in OCT 08 no notice) I really feel for you. There might be a silver lining. With current extensions you should be elegible for 26 weeks and another 26 week extension (depending on your state). They are also giving another check for $25.00 per week due to stimulus pack. You might want to check for free retraining under WIA program. I was in printing for 35 plus years and am now heading for heavy equipment operator training on the UnI. (WIA + Pell grant = New Job? Hopefully)
The hardest thing to do at this time is to try to keep yourself up and positive.
By the way, I also wanted to thank you for all the help your comments on some of my other postings have given me.
Good Luck in your new future!

Hang in there Johnny. This is a real good time to update your resume and get some work done on the car.

:thumblef: Thats the reason im fixing my car now. I was in a real rut but the more I get done the better I feel. When your down theres no were go but up. This site is like therapy for me. :cool:

Way to go, Ram :cheers:. We're praying for you and your critters. As for the other unemployed members amongst us: keep your chins up and learn as many skills as possible or truly hone those you have. Best of luck to you.

Right on ramcharger!!! sounds like you got this job locked! I think you should post a "layoff survival guide". i know alot of people are in the same boat and I for one would really appreciate help from someone who has been there. even the little stuff we sometimes forget can make the difference between doing ok and panic mode.

64dart170, thank you for your help with a few of my posts! I saved the "v-eight" logo on my phone as my new screensaver LOL. also thanks for the heads up on the training program, i plan on looking into that.

Hey Ben, I did end up finding one good headlight ring at Spring Fling thanks to another member Craig. now I just need to find one more so my car can stop winking ;) .

Thanks again everyone, Johnny.

I'll start working on it tomorrow Johnny and I hope it helps you and everyone else that hit some hard times. Keep your head up buddy and don't let this get you down. I figure on sectioning it into parts on resume building, cost cutting, contacting the UI dept, etc.

Thanks for the congratz everyone. I don't have it yet, but it's the most promising contact from a future employer I've had at this time.

Here's a song for all of us who have been laid off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBnSWJHawQQ

Ramcharger- do not forget to send a thank you note/email back to the interviewers. Even if you don't get the job, the guy they hire could goof up,

A few tips for unemployment survival. 1. Leave the house everyday. Go out and get a cup of coffee, or pick up the paper, it doesn't matter...just get outside, otherwise you find yourself sitting in you underwear watching Columbo. 2. Go to bed, if it is 11:30pm and your reading this, go to bed. Your be lazy as a cut cat tomorrow and thats not going to get you a job. 3. Your resume cannot be all thing to all people. Tweek it for each job you apply for, even try a few different styles. Keep it short and relevant. Only include info relating to the position you are applying for. 4. Read - keep your mind sharp, your perform better in interviews.

I've been down this road a few times. What ever you do, don't let it get you down, that is the real killer. Keep positive, it's not end of the world.

Keep in mind its a good time to go to school... there could be funding out there to help you pay for it.

Sorry to hear about your layoff. I am in the same boat but i was on disability at the time, so i am kind of o.k. it sucks pretty bad though. Keep your chin up sounds like you have some things yu can fall back on, that's great!

-
Back