Laminectomy - I know some you have participated

-

JeffisOld

Old, Ugly and generally Disagreeable!
Reaction score
What is the consensus regarding successful outcomes and recovery please!

I am scheduled for a 4 level surgery on May 7th.

Thanks in advance guys!

Master Sergeant, I had a lumbar laminectomy 22 years ago. Ruptured disc 4th-5th vertebrae. In my case, the pain priour to operation was so bad I cannot begin to put it into words here. I had a really good surgeon and it has worked out well. I do have some periods now where back pain returns, but nothing like before the operation.

Dr. explained the full range of possible outcomes (might help a lot, might help a little, might not help at all, might end up a paraplegic, might not survive the operation) back then and I told him I wanted him to operate. This was after 6 months of physical therapy following the injury and I had decided it was a mechanical problem and needed a mechanical solution. And that even if things did not turn out well, anything was better than the pain, as I was determined not to squander the remainder of however long I had here doped up on pain meds and muscle relaxers, so was not taking them at that point.

In my case they only took the edge off the pain for an hour or so and the remaining 3 to 4 hours before they could be taken again without overdosing were just as painful as when not taking them at all. The other thing is that these meds screwed up my thinking and I hated the mind fog. That's no way to live. I realized after a couple of months that they were addicting as well and so I put them down and just got through each day as best as I could...... Main thing was that without them, I was myself again and could think clearly.

Anyway...... Glad I did it and if you opt for surgery, wish you the best of outcomes.

Semper Fi,

Harry

Last edited:
I had L5/S1 done 15 years ago, and other than periodic tingling in legs, no lower back issues since. That said, I am very protective of my back ever since and let the young flat-bellied boys around me do all of the heavy lifting!

Good luck to you!

Mrs. Big John had it done last year along with fusing three vertebrae and had very good results.

Had microdiscectomy done around 2000. Up and walking hours later. For me it was instant pain relief. Spent one night in hospital.
I was back to work the following week on light duty for like 6 months .
No issues (with that) since.

I believe the laminectomy is a bit different, but I've been through a cervical fusion and 2 microdiscectomies on different occasions where they did remove spurs etc. It did help with the pain some. No longer on pain pills as they don't do much for nerve pain anyway, but I am on a steady diet of Celebrex which helps more than the pain pills ever did.

I had 2 discs in my neck replaced with donor bone. When I woke up I found my left arm turned off ( for lack of a better description ) as if I had had a stroke. Doc said I had waited far too long to get this fixed. Chit had fused together. Pulling fragment of disc severed nerves. I had a rubber bulb and tube hanging out of my neck for a couple days too. That had something to do with cerebral fluid drain and my headache. Anyway... 6 months of physical therapy to get arm and hand half assed working again. It works pretty good from shoulder height down but still no strength or coordination overhead all these years later. Trying to generates pain. Can't turn my head as far either.
Laminectomy twice in my lower back, I forget locations. The first time was a short lived fix. 16 months and same pain in hip and leg had returned.
I can still wear out my lower back in a few hours. Hip will ache like hell for a couple days but it does go away. Hope I never have that constant unbearable pain going down my leg again.
Good luck with yours.

Last edited:
Talked to several of my docs about this....was told not a good idea for me due to the amount of osteoarthritis I have.. Best of luck to you Sir....

I had a discectomy on L5 S1 and then three years later I had a discectomy and laminotomy on S3 S4. It’s been about two and a half years since the last surgery. Both times I went from barely being able to walk because of the pain to 100% back to normal within six weeks of surgery. The pain was virtually gone when I woke up from the surger. Surgery is the only way to go to fix the problem and relieve the pain. Everything else (physical therapy and cortisone shots) were temporary solutions.

I'm scheduled for back surgery June 5. Fusing L-2& L-3, Also removing bone on the inside of the spinal canal on L4 ,L-5 and L-6 I have a extra Lumbar L-6. Not real excited about it. But the pain at times is unreal. I've had the nerve blocks done twice on my back which helped.

-
Back