Large Man Now Qualifies for Cirque du Soleil

-

I8NEMO

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I made it through 10 pages in the Brake Forum, then decided that I've done my due diligence before adding this post. I never had a factory primary parking cable so I don't know if the attachment end on this Classic Industries unit is correct, the housing end (2.) is a bit short relative to the housing clamp (1.) I've got the new Parking Brake system and handle installed which, if you have a standard gear box and have tackled this you know what a joy this is, add frame connectors and the fun multiplies. The added width of a clutch pedal puts the pedal assembly right next to the factory Parking Cable clamping point assembly, yippie. This trick includes swinging the clamp into position, forcing open enough room for the cable end and nut, cramming in/ holding a nut in place with your 3rd hand, and running in a bolt with a fourth. With my cable housing moderately clamped in place (contrary to the pic. it was as low into the clamp as possible), it slides up and down when E brake is pulled. Too tight and the interior cable movement is massively restricted. Barring some grotesques error on my understanding of what I'm looking at, or insightful advice from y'all I plan on removing the driver seat, laying in some blankets and camping out for the day to devise a modification that will capture the cable housing. No worries, I've got a thermos, sandwiches, sedatives....

Cuda E brake clamp.jpg

You will probably need the sedatives, and you may lose your religion before it's said and done. LMAO

Headers with aftermarket exhaust may pose a problem. 65'

Here's what my '69 looks like (InLine SS cable set)........

1703343992935.png

1703344097349.png

I didn't pull the seat. I used a 2 X 3 foot piece of plywood and a jack stand.
My bolt was a bit longer than necessary and to hard to remove from to the right. So I bent the bracket a touch to get it out. I shortened the bolt up for reassembly. Bent the bracket back.

I'll see if I can find more pictures.

View attachment 1716182013

View attachment 1716182014

My bolt was a bit longer than necessary and to hard to remove from to the right. So I bent the bracket a touch to get it out. I shortened the bolt up for reassembly. Bent the bracket back.

That first pic helps and was my next approach: loosening everything, significantly lowering the cable housing and clamping the very snout like you have.

View attachment 1716182013

View attachment 1716182014

Clamping to the snout is the way to go! Thanks! This also allows more handle throw all of which falls under category 1: grotesque error on my understanding of what I was looking at. No seat was the way to go, I guess no Cirque du Soleil after all.

20231223_095818.jpg

Here are some confirming photos of my 67 dart.

The cable has never been out of the car.

I'm not looking forward to reassembling my rescue 67 Dart GT convert, you think you took photos of every nut and bolt and where it goes the you realize you missed a ton.

Good thing I have my 67dart convert #1 as a template!

PXL_20231223_170944173.jpg

PXL_20231223_170940542.jpg

PXL_20231223_170936696.jpg

PXL_20231223_170932834.jpg

PXL_20231223_170929204.jpg

Twenty years from now, you will have forgotten all about this trouble;
I know I have .
Amen to that, I think I've forgotten already having a functioning e brake for the first time! Awesome pics Dana67, I found it much easier to sneak in a nut on the right vs forcing a longer bolt

-
Back