Last 10% takes 50% of the time

-
I had a very bad/stressful experience a few years after getting my '70 Duster involving removing the engine/trans and complete front end (subframe, suspension etc.) to swap in a fully built 360. I had never taken on a project of that magnitude and got way ahead of myself. I basically got fed up with how it ran with the tired old 318 and busted-up 904 so I blew the car apart without having a clear detailed plan and getting the new parts first. I was living in my parents' house which went up for sale while my car was still apart. I ended up having to get it hauled to an independent repair shop in that town when I moved an hour away and spent the next 3-4 months driving down on weekends to work on the car in that shop's parking lot. My main motivation to get it done was the fact that I was basically storing it there for free which I'm sure they weren't happy about and it was sitting out in the elements getting rained and snowed on.

I vowed to never again start a project without first having all the "new" parts ready to install. I may at some point take on a full "take it all apart and put it all back together" project but before I do I will need an appropriate place to work on it and a solid detailed plan of attack. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to the mechanicals but regarding cosmetics, body, paint etc. I don't care much. I'd much rather have a car running and driving than looking pretty but not running. I would be very hesitant to acquire another Mopar project that needs months of major work to get back on the road unless it's a screaming deal on a rare and highly desirable model. I just like to screw around and go fast and make noise. Hence why my Duster still has no headliner, no door panels, plenty of dents and scratches on the exterior, leaky wiper seals and I've had it since 2007... not sure I'll ever get around to addressing those issues because when I occasionally do have the time and money to put into the car I much prefer to improve the performance than make it look nice or feel comfy.

Some of these guys like @Josh owen are superheroes in terms of squeezing wrench time out of every day. There's no way in hell I'd be able to work a day job, take care of a family AND wrench on Mopars with only 4-5 hours of sleep. I have a hard enough time being functional on less than 8 hours. But then I also have some improvements to do in my personal life currently to get myself in a more "comfortable" position where I'd be able to go out and kick *** on my car instead of having it kick my *** and losing motivation. I mean I pulled out the 3rd member in my 8 3/4" to do a gear swap and sure-grip rebuild and it's already been a week with no real progress aside from gathering parts and tools, mainly because I've been helping my parents move (again lol) but still.

I certainly would say im not a superhero in anyway, wife says im a moron but you make a fantastic point I always have my parts for said section of the car im working on and have it on the shelf ready to go in order the best I can. definitely don't pull a car apart without having the parts at hand. Life happens sometimes i go weeks without touching the cars and I forget how things go but luckily I take pictures and everything is labled that helps so much. I am addicted to mopars and working on my junk If I dont get sleep i.dont get sleep, but Its the price to pay to not sacrifice time with my wife and kids

I certainly would say im not a superhero in anyway, wife says im a moron but you make a fantastic point I always have my parts for said section of the car im working on and have it on the shelf ready to go in order the best I can. definitely don't pull a car apart without having the parts at hand. Life happens sometimes i go weeks without touching the cars and I forget how things go but luckily I take pictures and everything is labled that helps so much. I am addicted to mopars and working on my junk If I dont get sleep i.dont get sleep, but Its the price to pay to not sacrifice time with my wife and kids

I think you're doing it right if your wife calls you a moron LOL, I'm pretty sure they all do that? In my mind you're a superhero based on your determination with your Mopars and dedication to your family. :thumbsup:

Getting close after 13 yrs. I promised myself I would do some work every week however small

0724221012_HDR.jpg

You saw the state of my junk, not too far but not too close either. I get overwhelmed when I spend too much time thinking about it. So any time I feel the anxiety of not finishing I just go out and do 1 small project.

Hell, sometimes it’s just cleaning up the aftermath of the last project and prepping for the next. Some weekends I can’t/don’t even do that and it’s ok.

My plan is to save some money and buy the next one “done” so I can focus on fun upgrades and not have to sink so much time in R&R.

Pulled my 53 Dodge truck totally apart. Only minor reassembly issues, 2 yrs.

Pulled the 67 Barracuda totally apart. Big delays were Bell’s Palsey and 15’ ladder fall. Working on some gremlins, then off for a top and some interior. Going on 3 yrs.

Considering the starting conditions and the fact they will eventually be gifts to younger family members, I can’t imagine not pulling them all apart.

When the Barracuda is done, the next project is my late FIL’s 54 Chevy station wagon.

I’m thinking of having my 70 cuda acid dipped. Guess what needs to happen for that to take place? :steering:

When I did a full nut and bolt resto on a Chevelle I got down to where it was driving but there was a punch list. And I knew from watching others leave well enough alone that it was going to end up the same way if I didn't do something. So I took a weeks vacation from work and made myself inaccessible to anyone and made a huge to-do list. Best thing I ever did while restoring it....

JW

If I understand what you are saying.... I had a few that I've taken all apart, and a few that I got back all together, and few that never got back together and I sold or parted out. But one thing I believe is that if you don't drive it for years, it's hard to stay on track.

My advice is to make it drive if it's been down for more than a couple years, if only with a temp fuel and ignition system, or the core truck motor, just drive it around the block. It will do wonders to keep the interest up.

I'm also from, and live near the Emerald city, but I'm likely a generation or so older, but if you would like some in person interaction I'm sometimes available. Probably a little tougher to interact with those with the common interest since the Mo Unlim club disbanded or whatever resulted in their demise.

For most working people, with families, if you buy a complete project, or one in a million boxes, YOU better be able to do the work and spend years on it. If you are retired. have a schedule to get it done before you croak!
People don't buy done cars because: they cost too much, or the work does not suit them, or, they can convince themselves the work done suits them.
There are reasons well done cars cost what they do now days.

-
Back