last hurrah at MATS

-

Ted Carlson

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I was priviledged to drive my buddys 71 Demon in the PRO class at Mopars st the Strip. We had nothing but problems which I can blame on 2 things. 1. I am not used to a reverse pattern shifter and 2. The distributor had a bad pickup coil causing it to shoot ducks at the top of second and all through 3rd. We finally found the problem and fixed saturday PM.
On Sunday I cut a terrible lite but my competition did not lift so he broke out. Round 2, I was determined to cut a better lite. Did too good and red lit by .008 and started in second. 11.40 and 118 is not to bad for starting in second. At 69 after 5 major surgeries in the last 18 months, I think I should stick to my now 13 second Barracuda at Fallon NV, TopGun Drag Strip. I hope I can still drive it with a forward pattern shifter. Age has no mercy on a die hard racer.

Hey...Ted....But we had a hell of a good time....

I put those time slips in the mail to you a couple of days ago.

You need to be the car waiting at the water box more often during down time so the owner can get annoying phone calls... :-D

Good to read you enjoyed yourself and big ups to Tony for making it happen for you.

weather permitting next wednesday...

head out to TnT...

fixing some of the little things still.... re-wiring alternator tomorrow....got a new proportioning valve coming to see if that will fix line lock....i already swapped out line lock solenoid....

and tomorrow...the last of the parts needed to change over from leaf spring to ladder bars will be here...at least that is what the Fedex tracking number says...
So i will have to figure out if i am going to do the work or pay someone..

Ted, Sounds like you had a blast. I saw the Demon, but didn't get to meet you. Nice of Tony to set you up :cool:

Hey Ted your never to old or should I say young to go out and have good time, my stepdad just went and got his SCCA comp license this past weekend so he can go play with the other guys on the track at the same time. He is 76 and having a blast running around in a Lotis super 7 and he is competitive so it's all good. Never give up what you love. Keep on keepen on and have fun.

Ted...

Toby said if you ever get back to vegas to race again...he will be your personal crew chief and cook too....LOL

Well..just an update for the car...

Got alternator re-wired,,,,waiting on proportioning vavle...

got the last of the parts needed to install ladder bars on Demon....probably wont do the work until later this summer...

I have almost got my 67 Barracuda ready. Everything is harder when you're old and stiff. I think it's sort of funny that every part of my body is stiff except the important part. I'll go to Top Gun in 2 weeks and see what it turns. I hope I'm not too disappointed after driving the Demon. With 3.23's at 4000', I'll be happy with low 13's or high 12's. A perfect street machine, sounds nasty and runs. The bottom picture is when I was racing at Famoso 11.08 119.81 1.502 60' time. What a rush!

Attachments

• P1010002.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 100
  • tedscar(2).jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 104
Shoot I just hope I'm still around at 76.

Ted great looking car.

-
Back