Last one to post in this thread wins!

-
As a stock 71 SB.....it sucked is all I can say. Dang auto stick but was faster than the 4 speed bugs until 80 and easy to make a 'power shift' lol. MPG? That just wasn't there probably because of trying to keep up with traffic? Making a curve on a slick road.....better off riding a bicycle at speed. Valves staying adjusted....that didn't happen. Would rather have had a 71 /6 Valiant over that thing any day. Was it a lemon? May be but my Mopars took all of my abuse and kept on ticking and I didn't give that Bug abuse like I did my Mopars. Once the Bug showed me it didn't like my driving style, I adjusted for that and even then, it still didn't like me. Winter times in the Houston area weren't all that bad but that bug hated cold weather and once it was running and warmed up....still not much heat came into the cabin. Hey, you can have em lol
Love my Mopars and yes abused them bad and they still ran. I needed a new toy to restore and always liked the Bug or bus just to have some fun in my old age so we will see how well my new Bug works out.

I never cared for bugs. Didn’t like setting so close to the windshield and nothing in front to protect you. Heaters sucked. AC. Yeah that wasn’t happening. Underpowered. Etc. my brother did have a fun Baja bug. But that thang was a death trap too.
My dad made dune buggy's back in the day and had a blast driving them around. So my new toy being under powered and no heat in the cab will be a challenge here in North Dakota winter at 40 below. If it doesn't work out I'll sell it and buy a new toy again. Retired has it's advantage I can restore a car and do another one if I want. Keeps me busy and having fun.

As a stock 71 SB.....it sucked is all I can say. Dang auto stick but was faster than the 4 speed bugs until 80 and easy to make a 'power shift' lol. MPG? That just wasn't there probably because of trying to keep up with traffic? Making a curve on a slick road.....better off riding a bicycle at speed. Valves staying adjusted....that didn't happen. Would rather have had a 71 /6 Valiant over that thing any day. Was it a lemon? May be but my Mopars took all of my abuse and kept on ticking and I didn't give that Bug abuse like I did my Mopars. Once the Bug showed me it didn't like my driving style, I adjusted for that and even then, it still didn't like me. Winter times in the Houston area weren't all that bad but that bug hated cold weather and once it was running and warmed up....still not much heat came into the cabin. Hey, you can have em lol
Never said anything about creature comforts. Took the pos distributor out put one out of a 1200 changed solex carb for a mikuni installed mild cam put header on it rings bearings oil pump and beat this thing stupid. Still running still will pull wheels on asphalt and still will make you scrape your pants out. It’s 26 years old. Can’t believe the abuse this power train has endured. No oil filter
Damn kids your all the same. Throw a big engine in a roller skate and hang on. :poke:
yup offen thought about buying one of those high hp Front wheel drive imports from auto pac write off sales welding u joints on wheels straight using vw front end and build a wild buggy. Then I think about it nope not happening

Never said anything about creature comforts.
Neither did I!! Knew going in that there wasn't going go be much in creature comforts but didn't think there would be NONE lol It was pretty much a 'pill bug' car but thought it would be a 'bit' more than that. The Valiant/Dart was a MUCH better car imo. :)

Never said anything about creature comforts. Took the pos distributor out put one out of a 1200 changed solex carb for a mikuni installed mild cam put header on it rings bearings oil pump and beat this thing stupid. Still running still will pull wheels on asphalt and still will make you scrape your pants out. It’s 26 years old. Can’t believe the abuse this power train has endured. No oil filter

yup offen thought about buying one of those high hp Front wheel drive imports from auto pac write off sales welding u joints on wheels straight using vw front end and build a wild buggy. Then I think about it nope not happening
Yep best to keep it to the point of just shitting myself and not flinging it around the neighborhood.

Yep best to keep it to the point of just shitting myself and not flinging it around the neighborhood.
Lmao but from what I understand never had the experience these are not winter cars. Oil pan heaters, air cooled a gasoline heater in front trunk (I have one will test if u need it) look for frost shields probably going to need them.

I like your ideas that would be a blast.
It was fun until our dads shut us down lol Oh well. Go carts were next. My dad took a sledge hammer to the motor on mine one day because I kept running it in the neighbor hood but luckily the piston was down and the only thing damaged was him driving the spark plug down into the head and I had it running the next day. I thought that was the end of time until I pulled the head off :D Kept the cart over at a buddy's house until the 'storm' blew over.....

Lmao but from what I understand never had the experience these are not winter cars. Oil pan heaters, air cooled a gasoline heater in front trunk (I have one will test if u need it) look for frost shields probably going to need them.
Mine would be in a heated garage all winter and would not go far in winter if I had to drive it maybe 40 miles round trip.
Haven't seen a gasoline heater in years pictures of it if you can.

It was fun until our dads shut us down lol Oh well. Go carts were next. My dad took a sledge hammer to the motor on mine one day because I kept running it in the neighbor hood but luckily the piston was down and the only thing damaged was him driving the spark plug down into the head and I had it running the next day. I thought that was the end of time until I pulled the head off :D Kept the cart over at a buddy's house until the 'storm' blew over.....
We all had dirt bikes in my youth and had a great time out running the police. Dad never gave me a hard time because I was not a thief and always helped the neighbors. Cop totaled out his car chasing me one day as he slid around a corner and hit a fire hydrant. Got a bigger dirt bike after that and never had another problem getting close to a cop car.

Mine would be in a heated garage all winter and would not go far in winter if I had to drive it maybe 40 miles round trip.
Just leave the windshield out. No fog no ice.:thumbsup:

LOL never been there again I'm guessing.

Dad was working on a slip form concrete silo project. Spent all summer up there :D. First lake I ever saw that you couldn't see the other shore, Lake Winnipeg. October 1st it was raining on the ground where we were, it was snowing on the top of the silo, "Get Packed! We're outa here!" The trip home was pretty amazing also. The Great Lakes, the Mississippi, the Ozarks, lots of Route 66 :D.

Dad was working on a slip form concrete silo project. Spent all summer up there :D. First lake I ever saw that you couldn't see the other shore, Lake Winnipeg. October 1st it was raining on the ground where we were, it was snowing on the top of the silo, "Get Packed! We're outa here!" The trip home was pretty amazing also. The Great Lakes, the Mississippi, the Ozarks, lots of Route 66 :D.
Sounds like your dad went south from Winnipeg real fast to get to warm weather.

Sounds like your dad went south from Winnipeg real fast to get to warm weather.

East to begin with. Lake of the Woods Ontario, Mackinaw Bridge, Michigan, Chicago, then south and west. Folks had friends in numerous places along our route. They heard the same thing from some of them when we got back to Ca. "Be glad you got out when you did. 3 days after you left it started snowing and didn't stop for a week." :lol:

Dry as a popcorn fart here at 10 below never need defrost much.
We had carmin ghias. They were horrible in the winter. Driving with a scraper in your hand. The moisture comes from your body. It is rarely that cold here so I dont know how that works in your climate. That was a joke anyway. I would never do that. Curios to see the gas heater. I've heard about them but never saw one.

We had carmin ghias. They were horrible in the winter. Driving with a scraper in your hand. The moisture comes from your body. It is rarely that cold here so I dont know how that works in your climate. That was a joke anyway. I would never do that. Curios to see the gas heater. I've heard about them but never saw one.
It’s in a wreck I bought for parts. Try and remember to take pic after work.
0AB607EB-FFA4-4FF1-B0EB-9E4A4EFCC5E1.png

-
Back