Last one to post in this thread wins!

-
Out pre-running the desert race course in the brother of this one
View attachment 1715807952
Generator seizes up. No generator, no cooling fan. About 10-12 miles back to the house. Drive for 5 minutes, let it cool off for 15 minutes. Parked when we had to facing downhill just in case we had to bump start it :lol:.
I got my mother to give us a ride back to the start/finish line where the truck was parked :lol:
Towed it back to the shop, 20 minutes to change the generator and good for race day :lol:
Looks like fun I'm tempted to cut mine up and throw some North Dakota mud around. lol

We weren't allowed to do much to those 1200s by the rules, just a plain ol' 40horse with headers. Great fun. :D
The summer race was run late in the day so half was run in the dark. The car owner found out the hard way that you could use the Cibie headlights and the KC pencil beams at the same time only if you were on the lone section of the track that was WFO on a power line road. Low speed areas both at the same time would drag the generator down to the point of almost stalling the motor :lol:

5FD3B2F1-C74D-4667-8CFD-45FDDFF395BA.jpeg
Looks like fun I'm tempted to cut mine up and throw some North Dakota mud around. lol
This my bush buggy 72” wheel base, 1600 duel port small cam, header, and a 44 mm flat slide mikuni carb. Thing will pick front wheels on asphalt. Me and the wife have a hoot bombing area the side rds. And gravel pits. Added 5 point harness and window netting since pic
B6302976-72EA-4CF5-9392-02A3CC3A760C.jpeg

We weren't allowed to do much to those 1200s by the rules, just a plain ol' 40horse with headers. Great fun. :D
The summer race was run late in the day so half was run in the dark. The car owner found out the hard way that you could use the Cibie headlights and the KC pencil beams at the same time only if you were on the lone section of the track that was WFO on a power line road. Low speed areas both at the same time would drag the generator down to the point of almost stalling the motor :lol:
LOL not much power but would be a blast.

View attachment 1715807958
This my bush buggy 72” wheel base, 1600 duel port small cam, header, and a 44 mm flat slide mikuni carb. Thing will pick front wheels on asphalt. Me and the wife have a hoot bombing area the side rds. And gravel pits. Added 5 point harness and window netting since pic
View attachment 1715807957
Damn, nice toy to go play in the mud and gravel. Very tempting to cut mine up if the body was in bad shape.

View attachment 1715807958
View attachment 1715807957

There was a Meyers Manx type buggy in town chopped down to about those same dimensions. Bloody thing handled like a go kart :steering:

There was a Meyers Manx type buggy in town chopped down to about those same dimensions. Bloody thing handled like a go kart :steering:
Ya it gets a little snarey when you get her wound up on the gravel rds. But that’s not where it’s fun bush rds. and pits are where it’s a blast. Was to fast with the 71 super beetle gearing so I put the gear reduction boxes off a van on it way better at everything

Ya it gets a little snarey when you get her wound up on the gravel rds. But that’s not where it’s fun bush rds. and pits are where it’s a blast. Was to fast with the 71 super beetle gearing so I put the gear reduction boxes off a van on it way better at everything
Those bus transaxles had a lot of good uses :D Little extra ground clearance, little extra wheelbase when laid down, more gear selection :D

Out pre-running the desert race course in the brother of this one
View attachment 1715807952
Generator seizes up. No generator, no cooling fan. About 10-12 miles back to the house. Drive for 5 minutes, let it cool off for 15 minutes. Parked when we had to facing downhill just in case we had to bump start it :lol:.
I got my mother to give us a ride back to the start/finish line where the truck was parked :lol:
Towed it back to the shop, 20 minutes to change the generator and good for race day :lol:
Can't kill those engines. They take a licking and keep on ticking

Can't kill those engines. They take a licking and keep on ticking
A racin' buddy of ours towed his Class 11 racer like ours across town with a tow bar IN GEAR :lol: to the tech area for the race the next day. I was standing there when he pulled up and noticed the crank pulley was turning before he parked :rofl:

Did I see right that Sask was -14c this morning?. Too dam early for that and for me.
Went out after lunch to cut the grass and got the mower out and then started to spit. Back in the house and waited 20 minutes sun came out and got it cut.
Our hot air balloon is still up in the air (no pun intended) for tomorrow. Some thunderstorms possible. Have to phone in by 1pm to see if it's a go or not. If it's a go we have to drive 1.5 hrs through Toronto. At least it won't be rush hour kinda sorta. If it was rush hour it would be like parked in a parking lot. So many assholes out there is amazing and maddening all at the same time.

Owned a 71 'stooopid' beetle in 73....actually brought the pos home from Germany when I got out of the AF. It had 30k miles on it and it was the biggest pos I've ever owned! It was cheap and figured 'why not' and well found out why not lol. The new owner even brought it back to me TWICE after selling it to him.

Owned a 71 'stooopid' beetle in 73....actually brought the pos home from Germany when I got out of the AF. It had 30k miles on it and it was the biggest pos I've ever owned! It was cheap and figured 'why not' and well found out why not lol. The new owner even brought it back to me TWICE after selling it to him.
Don’t know about the rest of the car but the power train in my buggy is 71 super beetle and have abused the hell out of it. No hell is too calm of a description. Beat it stupid is a little closer. Often thought of putting a big bore kit on it but it doesn’t really need any more power it can make you scrape your pants just the way it is

A racin' buddy of ours towed his Class 11 racer like ours across town with a tow bar IN GEAR :lol: to the tech area for the race the next day. I was standing there when he pulled up and noticed the crank pulley was turning before he parked :rofl:
Did that before but lucky not far.

Don’t know about the rest of the car but the power train in my buggy is 71 super beetle and have abused the hell out of it. No hell is too calm of a description. Beat it stupid is a little closer. Often thought of putting a big bore kit on it but it doesn’t really need any more power it can make you scrape your pants just the way it is
As a stock 71 SB.....it sucked is all I can say. Dang auto stick but was faster than the 4 speed bugs until 80 and easy to make a 'power shift' lol. MPG? That just wasn't there probably because of trying to keep up with traffic? Making a curve on a slick road.....better off riding a bicycle at speed. Valves staying adjusted....that didn't happen. Would rather have had a 71 /6 Valiant over that thing any day. Was it a lemon? May be but my Mopars took all of my abuse and kept on ticking and I didn't give that Bug abuse like I did my Mopars. Once the Bug showed me it didn't like my driving style, I adjusted for that and even then, it still didn't like me. Winter times in the Houston area weren't all that bad but that bug hated cold weather and once it was running and warmed up....still not much heat came into the cabin. Hey, you can have em lol

I never cared for bugs. Didn’t like setting so close to the windshield and nothing in front to protect you. Heaters sucked. AC. Yeah that wasn’t happening. Underpowered. Etc. my brother did have a fun Baja bug. But that thang was a death trap too.

-
Back