LATE model Dart love. 73-6

-
I still don't know why haters are still coming on this thread just to say how much they don't like these cars and why. It says 73-76 love not come tell us all the stuff you hate on our cars. If you don't like the thread then STFU.

I agree, it shows bad manners to come on this thread only to piss on it. I am pointing out advantages the beakers have, and where to cut excess weight. Other than that , I think he's an in the closet beaker, and doesnt really want to admit it. Come on AJ/formS admit it, ya really love the sexy looking beak

Last edited:
Last edited:
Nice dart, i like the rallyes over the mustang wheels though. If your runnin the stang wheels, ya gotta ditch the horsey center caps. I have seen blank chrome ones for those wheels on evilbay.

Thanks, I prefer the ralley but run the 17"s so I can drive the car with a decent tire. Ponys are gone. Bought the rims, 150 mile takeoffs on CL for $25 each.

Thanks, I prefer the ralley but run the 17"s so I can drive the car with a decent tire. Ponys are gone. Bought the rims, 150 mile takeoffs on CL for $25 each.
I am a big fan of rallye wheels, I prefer the 70-71 centercaps over the 72 up ones. I had a 77 charger with the rallyes, i swapped out the caps to the 70-71 style cap.

My 73 Beaker

IMG_20160529_114349.jpg

IMG_20160529_114411.jpg

you know I always thought the 73 up cars made good looking oval track cars, so thats what I built. The one in my avatar is a 74, and it has kicked more *** than chuck norris. Pre 72 cars look better in my opinion, funny alot of those cars get sheetmetal swaps to the earlier years, wonder why that is?

The problem i have isnt so much the styling of the 73 to 76 A bodies, its the fact that the Fed in collusion with the insurance companies came up with the 5 mph impact standard. Whereby at 5mph impacts the vehicles should show no damage.

While this is a great idea in theory, it added weight to the vehicles and required the engineers and stylists to try to come up with something that would pass the new motor vehicle standard and look somewhat decent.

This is what you get when the fed is allowed to dictate automotive design. This is a microcosm of how effed up our government is by allowing the fed to get involved in anything and everything instead of just providing for defence of our country. Somehow i doubt the chrysler engineers would have styled these cars this way if the 5mph impact standard wasnt made law.

This being said, i dont think they look that bad all things concidered. Personally i think the dart grille and front end looks cleaner and more finished than the more busier grille and humped up hood on the duster and valiant.

Dig the 5mph impact bumpers on the beaks of some of these 74s from other manufacturers. The camaro has one heck of a schnozz on it too. Now thats a super beak. I believe chevy used anodized aluminum on their bumpers to offset the weight from the steel support structure it was required to have. Dig the 100lbs of crap hanging off the 74 ford torino. These were both good looking cars until 1974. Both victims of the same law.

2016-05-30-08-15-47-568692136.jpg

images-12.jpg

images-16.jpg

2016-05-30-08-19-21-947947138.jpg

Last edited:
Nice dart, love the rubber caked up on the rear quarters. Adds to the bad assery of it. I bet the chebby chebelle sitting next to it is shaking in fear. I love the color too. Its not the mid 70s granny green. Its more of an eye poppin catch me if you can green.

I have a friend who uses 2" wide black vinyl tape, kinda like electrical tape of sort on his quarters when he goes to the strip, then he peels the tape off and all the burnt rubber with it.

I think the 73 to 76 dart, the stylists were trying to somewhat recapture to spirit of the 69 model in the grille. The fender stampings of the 73-76 are very close to a 69 as well. This may be why i like the look of the 73 up darts better than the 73 up dusters and valiants. They were also recycling the 69 barracuda hood stamping since it was only used for one year. The 69 barracuda ended up with low production figures that year, so there was a lot of life left in the dies for that hood, so why not use it. As a consequence they had to engineer an upper header panel to go with it. All in all a fairly pleasing design given the circumstances.

images-21.jpg

images-22.jpg

Last edited:
all 3 of my cars are 1974s

1974 440 Roadrunner
1974 340 Duster
1974 360 Dart Swinger

Long live the 1974s

-
Back