late model rear axle... more info

-

68gts340

Reaction score
today I made a junk yard run, came home with a ford 8.8 disc brake, 3.73 posi rear axle complete.. price $ 250.00

it came out of an 97 mountianeer. i havent got a chance to check it out in detail yet but it looks pretty good.

I did find out that these ferds have axle codes on the drivers door, makes it easy to find the right one without having to spend time jacking the thing up just to find out its not what you want... from what i learned today the posi units use a letter and a number on the code tag, the one i got was coded D4 ..... the other axles seem to use just numbers, i seen a lot of 42 codes, ... after i found one that i thought was correct ,the guys at the yard picked up the car with the big fork lift ,and on the diff cover there is a tag..
on the bottom line , up close to the bolt that holds it on is the id for the axle,,, it reads ,.....3 L 7 3 ...."L" indicates the posi... 3. 7 3 is the ratio . pretty easy to ID actually..... there is also a tag for the lube type on the housing too. the non posi units i saw only had one tag.... this is just what i learned by pokin around ,it may not be correct 100 % .... the disc brake units seem to be 1995 and newer. 1994 and older are drum brakes , the codes seem to be the same for both.. I found a lot of drum brake units, must have been 5 or 6 of them out of about 20-25 cars..seem to be pretty common.
i got to borrow a digi camera ,,, so i will post photos and more info asap.... hope you guys can use this info......Ron

I just put an 8.8 in my dart. The Explorer or mountainer rearend does not work very well. It's about 4" too wide and the pinion is offset almost 3". I got mine out of Ranger and it still needed a lot of work to get it in , but it works great.

I'd like to see detailed pictures and a story to go with this. Sure beat the heck out of a 8-3/4 purchase price. Is an 8-1/4 is a difficult find for you?

rumblefish360 said:
I'd like to see detailed pictures and a story to go with this. Sure beat the heck out of a 8-3/4 purchase price. Is an 8-1/4 is a difficult find for you?

to be honest, i was in that yard all after noon, only found one 8.25 it was in a 97 ? van was a 3.55 posi unit... didnt measure it but it looked pretty wide

smythge said:
I just put an 8.8 in my dart. The Explorer or mountainer rearend does not work very well. It's about 4" too wide and the pinion is offset almost 3". I got mine out of Ranger and it still needed a lot of work to get it in , but it works great.

yes ,i agree with you about the width and off set, problem is every stinkin ranger i looked at was either drum brakes or not a posi , or both... i must have checked 20 or more rangers. seems like the rangers are all older models, is it possible ford makes something that last ??not much in the 95 and up rangers in the yard lots of early 90s s tho...plus the door codes dont seem to be the same .. some of the rangers had codes that i could not make any sense of.... but again i didnt have a parts interchange book in my back pocket.... so I dont realy know for sure

-
Back