Late model rear end

-
Not sure my original plan of narrowing the long side is going to work. The axle housing is taperd the last 2"s and I need to narrow it 2 3/16 to get the axle shaft to fit. May need to find a larger flange or perhaps narrow the end closet to the housing..

Thanks Big Denny that solves my narrowing problems, now I figured out how I can do it without messing with the tapered end. :)

hey smythge ...hows the project going ? and how about those pictures? we are all waiting to see them.....

Sorry for the delay, the rear end is still sitting in my garage, going to get to in a week or so. Found a great deal on a new motor, so I've working on that, although I did get in the car and the cam broken in last night. As soon as I have some pics I will post them.

Ok, ran into a couple problems with the rearend (disc brakes & narrowing the longer side) amazingly a friend of of mine is restoring a bronco II and had a an 8.8" rearend out of a ranger he wanted a wider rearend and his 8.8" is 2" narrower than mine his also has new drum brakes, which will be better for my setup. Same 3.73 gears, posi and 5 on 4.5 axles. It's going in this coming weekend, as soon as I have it in I will post some pics and update you on how it works.

The disc brakes require a larger master cylinder with a seperate resoviour (with the big block wedged in a 65 I barely have room for the master cylinder I currenty have and it is tiny. As far as narrowing the long side my original idea was just to narrow one side and use two of the passenger side axles, the problem with this is the axle shaft is tapered at the end and does not allow enough room to cut it and weld the flange back in, my next thought was drill out the pins pull the axle shaft directly out of the carrier, cut it down and weld the axle shaft to the carrier, can't seem to get the axle shaft out, although I am sure with a little work I could. When the opportunity to use the ranger rearend presented it self for me it just made sense. The width is already correct and I can use my existing master cylinder. With a small block in there I would have gone with the explorer rearend, I just don't have the room. The difference between the two rearends is they're both 8.8" ring gears, the explorer has a little thicker axle and a 31 spline where as the ranger has a 28 spline. which adds minimal strength, but allows higher load capicity, which I don't care about.

My understanding is something with 2 seperate resovoirs. Mine is tiny and only has one. I suppose I could modify it, but essentially I was looking for an easy inexpensive swap. The other easy option is get a pre 1994 explorer rearend as they had drum brakes.

That funny you ask, it's a rear end out of a 1991 4.0 Ranger 4x4, but my friend had it in his Bronco II. You have to find a 4.0 Ranger the others had 7.5" rear ends

I have an artical where a guy swaped the 8.8 into his S-10. This is where I got the idea for putting one in my Swinger. Not there yet, but gonna be soon as I can find one with a 4:10. Lots of 3:73's out there and yep, the later 90's have disc. Here is the link. http://24.16.249.197/axleswap/index.htm

I'll post some pics tomorrow, but I managed to get the longer axle tube out of the left side First had to drill out the pins with a 3/4" bit then tried heating up the housing with a torch to see if it would move with not luck. Finally ended up cutting it flat with the carrier, then using a sawzall to cut tube inside the housing in 3 places and it finally came out. What I found is that the axle shaft is tapered, so I need to 1/16 of an inch machined off before I can slide the axle shaft back in. Then all I need to do is finish cleaning it up weld it in place, paint it and I am ready to go

this should be the conversion joint SPICER number you need ( NPC 2-3100) at least thats the number on the reseat I have from putting the ford T-5 for the 90's musting in my scamp that has an 8.75 rearend in it. But any driveline shop should be able to verify that number for you.

Okay I got the rearend in the weekend. I had to narrow 1 side by 2 inches, have the ax;e shaft machined and pressed back in, by a new axle, weld new spring perches, and make custom brackets for the springs, but turned out perfect. Ended up relocating the springs and I can now fit 11" tires with a 4.5" backspacing

rear1.JPG

rear3.JPG

rearemd.JPG

Hey smythge, you got it done!! Ecellent job, and great photos also. It looks like you didn't encounter any problems with the brake lines during the swap. We should see about putting this in the Tech Archives as a viable alternative to the ever-dwindling supply of 8.75" Mopar diffy's available. Thanks.

if a 8.8 works...i know the Dana44's that come out of Jeep would work too.
only problem is that most of them are D35

How much did you end up spending and how much time to get it right? Have you driven the car yet? Thanks Den

Here is a detailed list of the expense"
Rearend $175.00
Axle shaft $55.00
Machine Work $70.00
Brake Line $25.00
U-joint $27.00
Flange $32.00

Took about 20 hours total including moving the springs inboard and to widen the wheel wells.

Haven't test driven yet need to get the fuel cell in and finish up the transmission.

-
Back