late model serpentine swap

-

arh

Reaction score
has anyone taken all the brackets and accessories of a mid to late 90's 5.2 or 5.9 and put them on an early small block. i want to convert my 318 with a/c over to a modern compressor and serpentine belt system.

It's possible but........

The Magnum engines do not use a fuel pump. There timing cover is thinner. If you stay with your timing cover, you'll need to space out the brackets the like difference in thickness.
I do not know the diamention thickness difference.

I don't like the serpentine idea because if you lose one belt you lose EVERYTHING. If your A/C compressor locks up (not uncommon) you are parked. When the A/C compressor went on my GLHS I just pulled the A/C belt and went on down the road.

But it's easy to carry one belt and tool in the car. LOL

I have seen the belt brake once. The belt was in the poorest condition I have ever seen one in.

But it's easy to carry one belt and tool in the car. LOL

It isn't that simple. If the compressor locks up you can not have the belt run it anymore (unless you want to immediately burn the new belt too) and you will not have a belt the correct length or any way to route it without the compressor. As I said, you are parked. I used to work in service at a Dodge dealership. I can't even guess at how many shot or missing belts we saw because of locked up compressors. No thank you.

It isn't that simple. If the compressor locks up you can not have the belt run it --- you will not have a belt the correct length or any way to route it without the compressor. (As I said, you are parked.) I used to work in service at a Dodge dealership. I can't even guess at how many shot or missing belts we saw because of locked up compressors. No thank you.

Thanks for answering my joke post with a serious look at what could be. I'd joke again and say I'd carry 2 belts now, but I'm awaiting another reply like you gave.

Being that I don't work at dealer, I would not have any clue on how many of the A/C pumps lock up. To the tune I read you singing about the A/C pumps, it sounds like there garbage and anyone that has one has a ticking time bomb.

In the italics, in your quoted post above, what do you mean? I'm (me) parked?

i have a 01 intrepid with a/c and serp belts, and a 98 wrangler no a/c and serp belts, no problems yet. im hoping to use a serpentine belt on my cuda. it will only have alternator and w.p. though, maybe just the alternator with elctric w.p.

Thanks for answering my joke post with a serious look at what could be. I'd joke again and say I'd carry 2 belts now, but I'm awaiting another reply like you gave.

Being that I don't work at dealer, I would not have any clue on how many of the A/C pumps lock up. To the tune I read you singing about the A/C pumps, it sounds like there garbage and anyone that has one has a ticking time bomb.

In the italics, in your quoted post above, what do you mean? I'm (me) parked?
They are not garbage but they do fail more often than other components. Chrysler even instituted an extended A/C warranty for some minivans because the compressors failed so often.

No, I did not mean "you". It was a reference to my comment about anyone with a serpentine being parked if any belt-driven component locks up. I try not to rag on any fellow MOPAR man. I save that for the lost chevy guys.

Well if it was to happen and you have a spare belt you just turn the AC off and put the new belt on. With the AC off the compressor is not longer linked to the pulley the belt is riding on and at that point it's just an idler.

Anyway, back to the original question. YOU MUST use the magnum front cover and water pump along with the magnum fan clutch (threads onto the water pump verse being held by 4 bolts) and fan. The serpentine system on the late models turn the water pump and fan in the opposite direction than on an LA.

If you want to do this I would measure from the front of the block to the front edge of the fan on a magnum motor and make sure you have clearance for everything.

They are not garbage but they do fail more often than other components. Chrysler even instituted an extended A/C warranty for some minivans because the compressors failed so often.
WOW! No kidding. Thats something. Extended warranty. Yikes.

No, I did not mean "you". It was a reference to my comment about anyone with a serpentine being parked if any belt-driven component locks up. I try not to rag on any fellow MOPAR man. I save that for the lost chevy guys.

Ohh, I got lost there for a second. ----Lost Chevy boys, he he he he.

As far as the belt situation goes, you could always carry a short belt that bypasses A/C. Alot of the Dakota guys that race by one that eliminates both A/C and Power Steering for when they get to the track.

One other thing to remember you will need to change the water pump also. The pulley on those are PRESSED on. They also are also reverse flow (just something to keep in mind when running the belt).

-
Back