late model truck fender flares

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
hey guys, i want to put some fender flares on my '17 RAM 2500
i havent decided yet if i like the looks of the "pocket style" fake bolt on ones, or if i want to stay with the more modest stock looking ones (that are a little smaller)

the truck is maroon and i intend to have the flares painted to match

any thoughts?
any brands to stay away from or that you like ?

Probably not helpful but I actually took the factory flares off my two-tone 2017 Laramie 1500. I bought the truck for the interior and driveline but never liked the flares. (black truck with silver on the bottom & silver flares) I was in an accident last year and paid a little extra to have the repair shop remove the flares and make the truck all one color. Looks sooooo much better now - all black except chrome bumpers and grille and no flares.

The smooth, OE ones install with two-sided body tape and screws underneath through the bottom of the fender opening. I believe some of the bolted ones actually require drilling holes in the panels so there's no going back if you choose those.... unless they are 'faux' bolts which would be kinda cheesy...

IMO bigger/wider wheels and tires compliment the flares but the OE tire sizes don't look right. That's why I took mine off. A 2500 sits higher than a 1500 so unless you do have bigger wheels/tires, it might look silly?

Check this site out to get some ideas. It's for wheels and tires but could be useful to see what flares might look like.

Probably not helpful but I actually took the factory flares off my two-tone 2017 Laramie 1500. I bought the truck for the interior and driveline but never liked the flares. (black truck with silver on the bottom & silver flares) I was in an accident last year and paid a little extra to have the repair shop remove the flares and make the truck all one color. Looks sooooo much better now - all black except chrome bumpers and grille and no flares.

The smooth, OE ones install with two-sided body tape and screws underneath through the bottom of the fender opening. I believe some of the bolted ones actually require drilling holes in the panels so there's no going back if you choose those.... unless they are 'faux' bolts which would be kinda cheesy...

IMO bigger/wider wheels and tires compliment the flares but the OE tire sizes don't look right. That's why I took mine off. A 2500 sits higher than a 1500 so unless you do have bigger wheels/tires, it might look silly?

Check this site out to get some ideas. It's for wheels and tires but could be useful to see what flares might look like.
I am looking for some silver ones, are the short box and long box the same in the rear? Of course my 2015 2500 is starting to rust on the passenger side rear, so I was going to repair the rust then put the flares on. I also have slightly larger tires with aftermarket wheels, so I think they would look good. I don't like the fake bolt kind. Let me know if you still have them and want to sell them.

2015 Ram.jpg

I am looking for some silver ones, are the short box and long box the same in the rear? Of course my 2015 2500 is starting to rust on the passenger side rear, so I was going to repair the rust then put the flares on. I also have slightly larger tires with aftermarket wheels, so I think they would look good. I don't like the fake bolt kind. Let me know if you still have them and want to sell them.
Can't see why the rear wheel openings wouldn't be the same. I might be willing to sell them, let me think about it. I'll dig them out and get back to you via PM.

Thanks. That was a pretty cool site

There are a few trucks in the same color as mine (but man, what ghetto rims)

I think you are right that the two tone would not look good and since mine has the chrome bumpers, I don't think black flares would look good iether (but it was always the plan to paint them)

Yes. I want to use at least stock style mounted ones, I am not drilling holes to put them on

Your stock ones might be helpful to me, but they sound like they may be spoken for allready

They hold water and dirt. They abrade the paint off if not glued down.

Even the ones that come with the weatherstripping on it?
I had the kind with the weatherstripping (Bushwacker?) on my Dakota when I bought it back. No rust damage but they did abrade the paint around the edges. I took them off, wet sanded & polished the paint to remove the marks the flares left in the clear coat. Nice flares though, just not my thing.

I am having the same exact struggle with my "New" 2014 Ram 2500. It looks like it's missing something without the flares. Not sure which ones and I absolutely hate the faux bolted on ones. I may just be used to the look since my 2013 has them? The '14 looks naked without them

SITD5140.JPG

IMG_3865.JPG

one thing ive noticed is that the truck HAS to have a chrome bumper (which mine does) for fender flares to look good
the ABS bumpers seem to tuck in neater and that leaves a wierd bump where the flare starts

here are a few pictures of what looks a little like my truck, just to get a feel for it (mine is the '17 with the chrome grille)

ram-2500-ram-carli-leveling-kit-motiv-magnus-black.jpg

(pay no mind to the ghetto rims, im rolling on stockers now, but would go with something a lil more classy if i upgrade)

s-l1600.jpg

SHR2736?wid=810&hei=608&op_usm=0.jpg

and one with more factory style flares

9db0cc8b98ef97a1cded5f71a0a0a713.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

wm_82fef45f49374cf4ada13bb96c06208e_925081.jpg

-
Back