Latest obsession. TONKAS!

-

moparker

Reaction score
I always liked to the toys from when I was a kid. I have been grabbing up Tonkas from the 60's and 70's for years. Some of them I restore some just clean up and let my son play with them. Any of you collect them as well?

I have a few I saved from my youth. A pick-up/boat and trailer and a few construction toys. I still have a few farm toys too. Mine is not in as nice as this one but it looks like this:

Attachments

• mhLuFSeha1DhOsfx1e2CPyg.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 299
I always liked to the toys from when I was a kid. I have been grabbing up Tonkas from the 60's and 70's for years. Some of them I restore some just clean up and let my son play with them. Any of you collect them as well?

ive got a few 16 i ve got a rare orange roller tonka and a yellow one , do you know the reason behind that ?

Attachments

• IMG_4305.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_4304.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_4306.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_4307.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_4309.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_4310.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_4312.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_4313.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_4315.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_4318.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 290
Growing up my grandparents had some old ones that I'm not sure if they were Tonka brand or not. Basically every family member from my dad and his siblings to my sisters kids played with those over a 50yr timeframe. The scraper was my favorite. It had cast metal body, with rounded features. Most of them were sold at the estate auction fetching hefty sums but my sister bought the crane for my father as he is a retired operator. I bid on the scraper but it went for more than I could afford. I did however get the 60's FP barn that my children now play with. :) brings back very fond memories. :angel5: Thank you for the post.

Attachments

• IMG_4311.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_4314.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_4316.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_4317.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_4315.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 275
very cool thread ...i have never seen anything like the older ones before.

i bet some of those would be fun resto projects :glasses7:

Attachments

• IMG_4319.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_4320.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_4321.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_4322.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_4323.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_4324.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_4325.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_4326.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_4327.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_4328.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 276
I wish I still had my dump truck. I remember putting my knee in the bed and rolling around. They were tough toys.

Attachments

• IMG_4329.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_4330.JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_4331.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_4332.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_4333.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_4334.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 256
I had that Texaco truck when I was a kid...my first visceral lesson that marketing people lie to you!

In the ad, the kids would lie down on the truck and it would roll and steer (like a skateboard). I opened it up Christmas morning and laid down on it. Imagine my disappointment when it didn't move! I think I was 4 or 5?

I found the ad!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmc6J1863Y4"]VINTAGE MID 1960's TEXACO COMMERCIAL - LOOKING FOR YOUNG TRUCK DRIVERS (CHILDREN) - YouTube[/ame]

So, tell me I wasn't lied to by Texaco's marketing guys! See how he just gets on the truck and off it goes?

I had that Texaco truck when I was a kid...my first visceral lesson that marketing people lie to you!

In the ad, the kids would lie down on the truck and it would roll and steer (like a skateboard). I opened it up Christmas morning and laid down on it. Imagine my disappointment when it didn't move! I think I was 4 or 5?

I found the ad!

VINTAGE MID 1960's TEXACO COMMERCIAL - LOOKING FOR YOUNG TRUCK DRIVERS (CHILDREN) - YouTube

So, tell me I wasn't lied to by Texaco's marketing guys! See how he just gets on the truck and off it goes?

my have a case to suelol yea the cabs moves i ve got 3 of them need any parts for yours

i hope thats enough photos

Oh my thanks for sharing your pics badlilred79! Using them as lawn ornaments is a cool idea too. I use to have a Tonka tractor/tank trailer which you could fill up with water. Most of them I got rid of but I kept my Hubley diecast since my grandmother worked there.

Badlilred, what are those aluminum pieces with the pentastar on them, in the lower left of the 4th picture you posted?

I have thought about grabbing up some old Tonka's, but never see them!

I do have a rotating display case (originally made for jewelry) that I keep a bunch of Mopar Hotwheels and Johnny Lightnings in, in the original packaging. When my friends with young'uns come over, I let the wee ones pick one or two out of the case to keep and open.
I find that if they have one of their own in their grubby little paws, then the grubby little paws tend not to get into other things ;-)

I have a few I saved from my youth. A pick-up/boat and trailer and a few construction toys. I still have a few farm toys too. Mine is not in as nice as this one but it looks like this:

hey that looks like my old ferd
73367_588220244530297_990561837_n.jpg

I'm glad I'm not the only one! My son and I are really having fun together finding them. I'll try to get some pics of mine. Badlilred you have some really rare stuff! I'm running out of room also. I'm glad I started this thread.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! My son and I are really having fun together finding them. I'll try to get some pics of mine. Badlilred you have some really rare stuff! I'm running out of room also. I'm glad I started this thread.

thanks you guys , do you have a texco truck

No I don't have a Texaco truck. I have a few NYLINT trucks. I've seen those Texacos at the flea market. very pricey. We are all so screwed up aren't we! We just can't collect big cars we have to collect little ones as well. Thank god we have understanding families. Threads like this make me feel good in the fact that I'm not alone out there doing odd ball type things. As all of you well know up until about 1995 or so it wasn't "COOL" to own a Mopar. We are a special breed. This web site cements the the fact I'm not alone.

No I don't have a Texaco truck. I have a few NYLINT trucks. I've seen those Texacos at the flea market. very pricey. We are all so screwed up aren't we! We just can't collect big cars we have to collect little ones as well. Thank god we have understanding families. Threads like this make me feel good in the fact that I'm not alone out there doing odd ball type things. As all of you well know up until about 1995 or so it wasn't "COOL" to own a Mopar. We are a special breed. This web site cements the the fact I'm not alone.

send me your address and you and your son have fun i look every time i am out lol times i start with a truck and it may be a parts one and i look for one thats cool enuff and i work my way up too it

-
Back