Lathe Motor Wiring Help

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I'm cleaning up an old Atlas/Craftsman Lathe and had a quick question about the Craftsman motor. Generally for these old flat start capacitors, does it mater which terminals the two wires are connected to? In other words, if you swap the two wires, would it still function?

This is the motor I'm working on: http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/222/3331.pdf

upload_2022-6-13_9-40-52.png

upload_2022-6-13_9-41-3.png

I also found this hand-drawn wiring diagram online. Not sure if it's correct though.

cm_100_c13.jpg

No, all motor caps (which operate on AC) are non-polarized, does not matter

On a side note, keep your eyes open at garage sales, etc, for a reversing switch. They can be mighty handy. Drawback on a small lathe (my old Atlas, now gone, or my SB) is that there is nothing to hold the chuck on as they are right hand thread. So you have to be a bit careful there

That's what I thought, but I'm glad I double checked.

Probably a stupid question, but is it okay to use a DC-rated toggle switch in an AC application?

Actually it's "the other way around." AC is "easier" on switches than DC because the AC constantly crossing through center stops the tendency to arc the contacts. DC does not do that. The only caveat about DC switches is that if they are not rated for the VOLTAGE then the insulation may not be up to par.

-
Back