LBP brakes on an Early A

-

Kmrumedy

Reaction score
Just want to confirm that if I get a complete set of brakes from a 1973-1976 A body including the rotors, spindles and upper A arms, will I be able to bolt them to my 1964 Valiant to replace my 9" drums.

Thanks

Sure, get a disc/drim mc too and proportioning valve or combo valve off disc/drum vehicle.

Fyi spindles were different for disc obviously, and the uppers have a larger ball joint. Lower control arms: you may find your drum lower ball joints have a 1/2 bolt hole while the disc have a 9/16 hole. You can drill out, no other difference. Did mine like that, no problem but i had 10's.

Yes! it's a great upgrade that saves you money on ball joints and brake parts as well. Might want to verify this but you may need the strut rods and nuts too as they are slightly different on the 73+ cars, I'm not sure if you need the early or late strut bars for your planned upgrade.

Yes! it's a great upgrade that saves you money on ball joints and brake parts as well. Might want to verify this but you might want the strut rods and nuts too as they are slightly different on the 73+ cars, I'm not sure if you need the early or late strut bars for your planned upgrade.

There is no need to mess with the strut bars for a disc brake upgrade.

Use the earlier strut rods, no need to disturb them. You basically want the complete plumbing from the donor car. The line across the dash (right front) will need to be bent slightly to fit into the firewall clips, but no big deal.

Hey guys,

Thank you so much! I appreciate the information. You guys are great!
John

So whats the rule on the strut bars? Match the K member? I know they are slightly longer on one or the other.

So whats the rule on the strut bars? Match the K member? I know they are slightly longer on one or the other.
The struts run from the from the lower control arms and the frame and you don't change the lower control arms so no need to change struts. I guess you are referring if you were to change the K member. Dennis

-
Back