LBP to SBP wheel adaptor?

-

cam.man67

Reaction score
Long story short, I have to replace my busted 7 1/4 with a rebuilt one. Problem is, the new one has LBP axles. Anybody out there sell LBP to SBP adaptors? If so, do they go on pre-drum or post- (towards the wheel)? I don't want to change my wheels if at all possible.

The axles, so far as I know.. I know the left side axle bearing went south, too, but I think the housing is ok.

did you go with another 7 1/4 rear ? If so, maybe someone here has some small bolt axels....

I dunno...can that be done? I don't know a whole lot about axles, so sorry if that seems like a dumb question.

No, unfortunately. The new axle is already bought, the transaction was done online.

Sounds like you are stuck. You will either have to drill the flanges and the brake drums or have someone custom make you adapters. Adapters will add an inch on each side plus if I recall correctly the BBP rearend is also wider to take the wider brake drums.

I bet you could find the correct axle for less dough than wheel spacers.

As in, I bet someone has one they'd trade you, if they don't just have one under a sofa cushion or something.

Thanks...that's exactly what I'm looking for! Now, another question...With the BBP axle, if I were to drill holes for the 5x4 bolt pattern, could I use my existing (SBP) brakes? Or, conversely, if the SBP axles were ok, could I have somebody cut those axles down to fit in the BBP rear?

I am not positive, but I think you will have a problem with the brakes. SBP 7 1/4 rear had 9 inch brakes, and LBP 7 1/4 (I think all, but know most) had 10 inch brakes. All the brake parts are different. Even the backing plates, so you can't swap the brakes over. The early 9 inch brake 7 1/4 had a 4 bolt flange to mount the backing plate, and the late 10 inch brake 7 1/4 had a 5 bolt flange. Even the axle bearings are different. The center hole in the drum is larger with the 10 in brakes, to match the axle.
I think your best bet would be to swap to disc brakes on the front, and swap your wheels for large bolt pattern. Most people have the reverse problem, they put LBP discs up front and then can't find a LBP rear.

-
Back