LCA Bushing Installed Correctly?

-

68GTconvert

Reaction score
So I took my LCA's to my friends shop and I don't think they installed the LCA Poly Bushings correctly? It doesn't look like it did before and when I try to tighten it to the K member the spindle spins out of the bushing. Anyone know if this looks right?

If it is correct how do I tighten it without it spinning out of the bushing?

Attachments

• IMG_2630.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_2631.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_2480.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 335
One more question if you use these new poly bushings for the strut rods do the big washers still face the stock position or do they go like this in the pic.

Attachments

• IMAG0330.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 304
that spindle should not be spinning. you should be able to run the nut all the way down without any other part moving with it.

theres a lot of debate over the cupped washer over the strut rod bushing. every factory strut rod i have ever seen, and i have seen a crapload of them, the washer always cups the bushing, others will say different, but i do, and i always will, cup the bushing.

that spindle should not be spinning. you should be able to run the nut all the way down without any other part moving with it.

theres a lot of debate over the cupped washer over the strut rod bushing. every factory strut rod i have ever seen, and i have seen a crapload of them, the washer always cups the bushing, others will say different, but i do, and i always will, cup the bushing.

So do you have any idea what was done wrong installing the bushings? Thanks.

it looks to me like that is the wrong bushing. i just went out and looked at 73 and a 77 . the shoulder of the spindle is all the way up to the control arm and you can barely see the bushing. i would take pics but i dont have a flash on my camera. im sure someone else will give this a thought

is this a 68? if so, i cant really tell you if that is the wrong bushing.

its kind of hard to see here but you get the idea

Attachments

• a39.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 302
It a poly bushing. Had the same problem. No body likes using them because or that problem. The strut bushings are WAY TO BIG. Get the one piece strut bushing and rubber lower control arm bushing. If you try to use together the strut bushing will and i mean will push the lower control arm apart.

Curtis

Ps i used the poly lower control arm with the 1 piece strut bushing.

This is for my 69 dart. So I have to get the rubber strut rod bushing and then the spindle wont push/spin out of the LCA?

i do know when the lca spindle and bushing are pressed into the lca, it shouldnt it be spinning when you tighten it down

im using the same strut rod bushings as you and they are working fine for me

Attachments

• bush.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 305
I have the poly in the lower and a rubber strut rod bushing. see above ebay link. But the poly strut rod is to fat. I have even tried cutting it down but that stuff is ignorant to cut. As for the spinning mine did it too. The whole front end needs to be put together lower the car down then tighten everything once the car is on the ground.

curtis

I have the poly in the lower and a rubber strut rod bushing. see above ebay link. But the poly strut rod is to fat. I have even tried cutting it down but that stuff is ignorant to cut. As for the spinning mine did it too. The whole front end needs to be put together lower the car down then tighten everything once the car is on the ground.

curtis

Ahh so when it has weight it won't spin out... Thanks

just to throw it out there, i have never had tighten any front end part after it was on the ground. every lca that i have ever installed new has always been put together tight without even a tire on it. but hey, if it works

just to throw it out there, i have never had tighten any front end part after it was on the ground. every lca that i have ever installed new has always been put together tight without even a tire on it. but hey, if it works

I am not sure if it will work. It seems weird to me too. I will let you know once I get it on the ground. Why does every job I think will be simple end up with some headache?

I am not sure if it will work. It seems weird to me too. I will let you know once I get it on the ground. Why does every job I think will be simple end up with some headache?

i feel your pain for sure man, im fighting my own lifter and valve spring battles , something so damn simple lol. make sure you pound the torsion bars in as far as they will possibly go into the lca went you put it all back together.

A few years ago when I did my LCA pivot bushing I think that I tightened down the pivot shaft, then slid on the arm with the poly bushing then installed the torsion bar. Yeah they will fall right out without the torsion bar holding it in.

Even with stock rubber you should not tighten up until it on the groud or you will rip the rubber apart. you would be puttig more twist in it more than needed. Everyone does it differently.

A few years ago when I did my LCA pivot bushing I think that I tightened down the pivot shaft, then slid on the arm with the poly bushing then installed the torsion bar. Yeah they will fall right out without the torsion bar holding it in.

Ahh. I am totally blowing it. I will get eveything buttoned up with the torsion bars in then tighten everything up. I think I am just a bad mechanic sometimes, HA!

Ahh. I am totally blowing it. I will get eveything buttoned up with the torsion bars in then tighten everything up. I think I am just a bad mechanic sometimes, HA!

Whatever works. Sounds like my day in the shop. I broke more stuff than I fixed on my Barracuda. That's why I am at home right now. Tomorrow is another day.

ive used the poly lower control arm bushings several times no problem ( with rubber strut rod bushings )
I also think your problem is the strut rod bushings being too thick

I am going to try it mounted with the torsion bars in see what happens. I would hate to not use those new pretty poly strut rod bushings.

BMW has a specific warning about only tightening bushing hardware when the cars weight is already on the parts.
The reason is exactly what you stated.:D

Even with stock rubber you should not tighten up until it on the groud or you will rip the rubber apart. you would be puttig more twist in it more than needed. Everyone does it differently.

-
Back