lca pivot slop

-

Kenz68

Reaction score
does anyone know how tight is too tight on the lower control arm pivot shaft housing? I am able to turn it but it takes some force, just want to make sure this wont be an issue before i coat them. Also is it normal for the inside of the housing where the bushing is installed to be a little grooved?

Probably grooved from someone replacing them in the past using a air chisel. Not sure what is tight. The pin inside the new lower control arm bushing? Or the torsion bar pivot in the LCA? What type LCA bushing are you using? Stock? after market?

Probably grooved from someone replacing them in the past using a air chisel. Not sure what is tight. The pin inside the new lower control arm bushing? Or the torsion bar pivot in the LCA? What type LCA bushing are you using? Stock? after market?
the torsion bar pivot is tight, one side has a little slop but the other is a little hard to turn by hand. I have the old bushings and pivot pin out and plan on installing pst greasable pivot shafts and the included poly bushings.

Was it tight when you remove the LCA? Maybe taking the shell out or the pin out of the arm, you tweaked the pivot some?

it was tight before I removed the bushing and pivot shaft. I watched a video on taking some of the slop out but nothing was mentioned about making them too tight or not..

Couple of things-

The pivot can be pretty tight. Once the torsion bar adjusting bolt is set the pivot doesn’t move separately from the LCA, the only time the pivot arm is moving against the LCA is when you’re installing the LCA or adjusting the ride height. The rest of the time the adjusting bolt is holding the pivot in place and the whole assembly is twisting the torsion bar.

The other thing is, you don’t want any grooves in the LCA bushing shell if you’re using poly bushings. The poly bushings can spin inside the shells, so, if the shells are chewed up they will chew up the poly LCA bushings. So, you may need to install a new set of LCA bushing shells. Proforged sells a set of poly bushings that come with new outer and inner shells...

0AFA7B2F-34E8-4B31-A5B3-525BAF8607A8.jpeg
Couple of things-

The pivot can be pretty tight. Once the torsion bar adjusting bolt is set the pivot doesn’t move separately from the LCA, the only time the pivot arm is moving against the LCA is when you’re installing the LCA or adjusting the ride height. The rest of the time the adjusting bolt is holding the pivot in place and the whole assembly is twisting the torsion bar.

The other thing is, you don’t want any grooves in the LCA bushing shell if you’re using poly bushings. The poly bushings can spin inside the shells, so, if the shells are chewed up they will chew up the poly LCA bushings. So, you may need to install a new set of LCA bushing shells. Proforged sells a set of poly bushings that come with new outer and inner shells...

Here is the outer shell after I pressed it out, the grooves are on the outside of the shell and also the inside of the housing they came from

-
Back