LCA strut removal

-

kittypancake

Reaction score
Is there a trick to get these out? If so, what is it? I'm having what sems to be a disproportionally hard time...

Factory service manuals are free downloads. Removing a strut rod should be the same procedure for any year model.

X2 on the service manual. I've found that almost all of the time the procedures outlined in the manual work, but you'll also need the tightening references for when you put it back together.

You may also want to break lose the pivot pin bolt prior to working the strut
What worked for me is losening the front nut on the strut then the rear.
Remove both strut nuts and slide the LCA out of the K.

I presume you've already taken care of the torsion bar and UCA and shock absorber.

AlV

do you have an impact wrench?

you have to loosen both ends some times. meaning-- loosen/remove the radiator end nut -- re -tighten -- loosen lca arm nut-- then you can remove both nuts after the initial rust/crud seal has been broken, Lawrence

I'm trying to download the manual now...had it before, but lost it in a computer crash...anyway, I removed the rear nut no problem. The front nut was very hard to turn. I held the strut with a pipe wrench. I was able to unscrew it until the lead end of the nut was flush with the end of the rod. It still turns, very tight, BUT it no longer unthreads...just sits at the end spinning...WTF? Suggestions?

Sounds like there's a piece of roll pin broken off in the end of the strut rod. If the nut is stripped cut that sucker off to save the strut.

you need to tighten it up, brush the threads & spray lube-- repeat by now you most likely have ruined the strut/nut threads.
this is how the stubborn ones are -- loosen a bit spray,scrape/brush-- tighten brush/spray loosen--- this takes some time but usually saves the threads/ parts.

I've had success removing axles housing u bolts with this method-- instead of cutting. Lawrence

I have some 73-76 strut rods do not know if I have any 62-72 style-- fine thread on both ends .

Sounds like there's a piece of roll pin broken off in the end of the strut rod. If the nut is stripped cut that sucker off to save the strut.

I've been able to grind the ends of the roll pin down when I can't get them out and spin the nut off over it. It damages the nut, but you can replace that easy... At least you get it apart...

-
Back