LD 340 vs Performer RPM?

-

Rockerdude

Rock n' Roll and A-bodies
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What is the real difference between the intakes?

One flows better than the other. I'd go for the performer rpm over the LD

What is the real difference between the intakes?

Hardly any and I can tell you, if you have the LD340, it's an awesome intake. In fact, many believe the Performer RPM was derived from the LD.

It makes great torque on the bottom, but is not constrained in upper rpm band. I've ran them 7-8000 rpms and they always pulled hard.

I, personally, wouldn't spend a dime on another intake - unless it was for a dedicated race car, if I had the LD sitting on the shelf. Again, just my opinion.

Southernman

Or you can say not to both and get yourself a performer rpm air-gap, best intake on the market for street use

I'm debating on the most cost effective aluminum 4 barrel intake, like the air gap copy that you can get under 200 bucks shipped. I've also seen these for that.

Buy a used LD/rpm/air gap before buying the copy would be my suggestion.

If you have an LD, buying the other two isn't really worth the time or investment.

I switched from a factory 360 TQ intake to a standard Eddy RPM on my 318 (360 heads) it made a world of difference in mid rpm torque and pull. Upper rpm range was also dramatically increased. Seemed to pull to 6k way more quickly.

All seat of the pants dyno. Volare RR street car, mild cam, headers, 2.5 duals / 3.91s / a833 od.

they are very close for a street engine maybe a few hp goes to the air gap, But some say the LD is better for a stroker due to larger plenum and runners, a must for the LD is to cut down the divider especially on a higher HP engine.

That's the one I was looking at. What do you guys think of the Weiand Stealth compared to the RPM?

i vote for the LD340 i read a lot on this intake. it is one of the best still to this day

It's a .030 over 318 that's been fully balanced, with TRW forged pistons, 430/450 purple shaft cam, early 1.88 J heads.

I bought a weiand stealth. Seems like best value for the money.

I had an LD340 on my 340 and swaped to an RPM air gap because of all the great reviews. Very nice intake but there was no noticable differance in performance.

Alot depends on the build and yours is mild. Ethier intake would be just fine. Though, since your starting from scratch, I'd do the RPM, air-gap if theres no need for manifold heat during the cold months.

IMO, I do believe the LD to be very good for a stroker because of the large plenum and near exact gasket size runners.
Something, the RPM is not.

Before you cut the divider down, use a spacer under the carb to simulate the extra breathing. Once the divider is gone, putting one back is not easy.

I have 2 LD-340's awaiting a good day to test them back to back. One is modified as per the MoPar book and the other is as cast. And yes I also have a RPM A-G. I have used the modified LD on a 318/360 headed engine before (4spd & 4.10) It made alot more useable power and a noticeable increase in power and RPM over the Torker II 340 I had on top. A TQ then replaced the 630 AVS. There was also a noted improvment. (And I really like the AVS)

TonyFields,

Does the air-gap runners and carb deck sit higher than the LD340 in order to get the gap or does it have a "valley pan" cast into the bottom to achieve the gap?

I was wondering if one made a valley pan for an LA motor would that give a similar affect of keeping the carb and runners cooler (block the heat risers of course)?

I'll go outside and check, since I have a LD 340 sitting. The Edelbrock height can be found at the Edelbrock site.

There is a oil sheild made for the small block Chyslers. This works well on helping the intake stay cool from the hot oil being thrown up on it. IIRC (probably not) look up Milodon.

TonyFields,

Does the air-gap runners and carb deck sit higher than the LD340 in order to get the gap or does it have a "valley pan" cast into the bottom to achieve the gap?

I was wondering if one made a valley pan for an LA motor would that give a similar affect of keeping the carb and runners cooler (block the heat risers of course)?
The valley pan is lower on the air gap. runners and carb deck are the same as the performer RPM and realy close to same as the LD340.

Rear .... Front ...
5-1/4 - 4-9/16 = 4.875 would be real close. Closest est. that my dead brain can handle right now. ;)

(4-14.5/16 or 4 29/32)

So sez the smarty pants kid next to me.

-
Back