leaded or unleaded fuel

-

dartlove

Reaction score
so a friend and I were at the track this weekend and started a conversation about fuel. Currently he mixes 3 gallons 91 unleaded pump to 2 gallons 110 race leaded. I asked him why he does that he said the high compression. My question to you all is with the modern technology (hardened seats) cou you just use a unleaded 110 race fuel ? Do they even make it? What does mixing the 2 have to do with the high compression. His motor is 12:1. My big block is 14.34:1 and I use 110 leaded. Can I too, if they make it just use 110 unleaded race fuel?

All he has done is lowered the octane from 110 to 98.6

((3/5)*91) + ((2/5)*110) = 98.6

Doesn't make any sense to me

Should be no reason to not run 110 leaded UNLESS he has a Cat Converter (other than cost)

Should be no reason to not run 110 leaded UNLESS he has a Cat Converter (other than cost)
Strictly track car. Now do they make an unleaded 110

I know why I added pump gas to race gas... Expense! LOL.. race gas is 9 bucks a gallon... If I could get away with only having to use one gallon per 4 gallons let's save quite a bit of coin over a little bit of time...

He's done more than change the octane numbers.
If he's racing for consistancy (bracket) or racing for best e.t (stock class or heads up grudge) different fuels burn differently.
Pick a fuel, or fuel combination and stick with it, unless someone really knowledgable about fuels convinces you to try something that might be a better match for your engine and needs.

I'm aware of three racing fuel companies that have some amount of tech info on line, and all have tech support you can converse with.
VP Racing Racing Fuels, Lubricants & Additives - VP Racing Fuel
Sunoco Racing Sunoco Race Fuels
Renegade Renegade Race Fuel :: – Racers Who Win, Pour It In!

Someplace, maybe in one of Vizard's books, I recall there was something about the effect of TEL in increasing octane had mixing in the first few gallons and less with increased dilation. Not linear.

I mix 110 x 2 with 91 Or 112 x 2 with 91. Car runs the same when it’s cool out or in the heat of the day. Unleaded. Kim

I don't think 110 is enough to support 14:1.

Have you ever put a compression guage in this eng to check cranking pressure? and if so what was it.

leaded or unleaded racing fuel????
In my mind leaded is best until you go to fuel injection were the o2 is in control of your fuel curve.......then unleaded my be a better fuel.

I would be surprised if you actually have 14:1 or even 13:1 for that matter. That’s sprint car motor numbers and those boys are on alcohol. Are you going by actual measurements or advertised numbers? With that much timing at 14:1 and 110 fuel your tuneup would have to be on the freakin money. Maybe it is.....

-
Back