Leaf spring clamps/straps

-

fshd4it

Squid inc
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought a set of leaf springs from General Spring, and they have heavy clamps with bolts across the top. The forward set lines up with the sidewalls on my tires (275 60-15), and they are uncomfortably close. Can I swap them out with the factory-style strap units, to gain some clearance? If so, any idea where I could find them? I haven't called any spring shops yet, as I hadn't noticed it until this afternoon. Besides, I figure there's probably better info and feedback on here anyway.

20230406_153414.jpg

20230402_185755.jpg

I actually did just that acouple hours ago. Bought me a smidgen of room (and got rid of the sharp edges on the bolt head), but its still way too close. Especially on the passenger side.

20230406_153207.jpg

It's hard to tell in the pics, but how much would you gain by loosening the clamp and sliding it up closer to the end of that spring segment?

All I know is I had a Big block 4 speed car, with 318 leaf springs after I rebuilt the motor and took it around the block with some Mickey Thompson Sportsman "i"s, I went and got aftermarket leaf spring thicker clamps and put them on a head of the axle to reduce spring wind up it actually helped the car out a whole lot I would have been better off putting SuperS springs in it the stupidity of youth.... those were the good old days I drove that car all around Tampa Bay for years and years in the early 90s

Just ran out and looked at that. There appears to be a locating pin through the bottom of the clamp, and moving it forward would put it more toward the bulge in the sidewall. Moving it aft, however, would definitely buy me some room.
It's hard to tell in the pics, but how much would you gain by loosening the clamp and sliding it up closer to the end of that spring segment?

20230406_191051.jpg

How much room do you have on the inner fender lip? Any room for wheel spacer? The 275 width and 60 series is your real issue and if its that close to the spring how close is it to the factory tub forward of the axle? Stock diameter is approx 25.7" , yours are 28"

How much room do you have on the inner fender lip? Any room for wheel spacer? The 275 width and 60 series is your real issue and if its that close to the spring how close is it to the factory tub forward of the axle? Stock diameter is approx 25.7" , yours are 28"
I must have missed what car it is I look back and kind of tried to back read on it, but I didn't see anything, anyway on the Duster, I have super stock Springs (I'm running 295 50 15 )I took a framing square, and I would have been able to fit the 275 60s with no problem (Well I used a tape measure also), I reckon I don't have a whole lot of advice on this.... this spring inboard kits are kind of inexpensive, but you kind of have to know how to set them up, and then you got a little bit of welding to do... I dig what you're saying on the fender lip so what are you saying change the offset on the rim slightly a half inch w/ a spacer? Just spitballing here man....

Clamps are located at the end of leaves to stop spring wrap, so location is important. Stock clamps and rubbers are available reproduction.

I've seen people use heavy duty hose clamps there.....and surprisingly, they work well. But, you need to clamp the leaves together TIGHT with welding Vise Grip clamps and then put the hose clamps on and tighten them down and remove the clamps.

When I de-arched my front and rear springs I used these to replace the factory clamps. The thin band had a dimple that locates in the leafs hole/divot to keep the clamp in place.
Pretty easy to install. Use clamps to compress them together and just fold over the tabs flat. (I added the white colored whatchamacallit pads as shown)

EBA97C6E-F63B-4296-9C3B-B7F3345EABF6.jpeg

4F48F9CC-7041-43DE-9200-17DC0D7BE558.png

I actually did just that acouple hours ago. Bought me a smidgen of room (and got rid of the sharp edges on the bolt head), but its still way too close. Especially on the passenger side.

View attachment 1716074277
Depending on how much room you have to the wheel well lip you could simply use some steel wheel spacers (more like shims) .125” might be all you need.

I must have missed what car it is I look back and kind of tried to back read on it, but I didn't see anything, anyway on the Duster, I have super stock Springs (I'm running 295 50 15 )I took a framing square, and I would have been able to fit the 275 60s with no problem (Well I used a tape measure also), I reckon I don't have a whole lot of advice on this.... this spring inboard kits are kind of inexpensive, but you kind of have to know how to set them up, and then you got a little bit of welding to do... I dig what you're saying on the fender lip so what are you saying change the offset on the rim slightly a half inch w/ a spacer? Just spitballing here man....
You're lucky with the Duster rear openings, far, far more room than my 69 Dart. I have 245's squeezed in mine with about 1/2" to spare to the spring and even less on the inner fender.

Last edited:
You're lucky with the Duster rear openings, far, far more room than my 69 Dart. I have 245's squeezed in mine with anout 1/2" to spare to the spring and even less on the inner fender.
They are way tighter, I hated removing the rear tires on my 66 Satellite, I had to jack up the body and let the axle hang down and fight em on and off

Damn guys, sorry I posted and then vanished. For some reason I'm not getting alerts, gotta look into what I did. Anyway, I realized I forgot to mention it's a '74 Duster with an 8 3/4, but it's a housing that's been cut down to A-body size. I'm pretty sure it's right, but I honestly don't remember if I measured the width or not. I could put some thin spacers behind the wheels, but I don't have much room to the fender lips. 1/4" maybe? The tires are 17 year old 275 60-15 Grand Ams, so they are going to get replaced, and as I understand that not all tires measure out the same, maybe new ones will give me a little more space. I found the aftermarket factory-style straps, but I've gotta measure the spring pack and figure what length I'll need... they list 8.5 and 9". Looking at the clamps they used I think they're hot riveted to the bottom of the lower leaf, and they're only to keep them aligned, not clamped together in a vertical manner (big gap between the top leaf and the bolt). The rear ones are nowhere near the tires, so it's only the fronts that are an issue. I just got home after being gone for 3 days, hopefully I'll be able to get back into it tomorrow.

-
Back