Leaf spring paint

-

mad dog

Reaction score
Hello FABO, I have a new set of espo springs ready to go into my Duster, i cleaned them and sprayed them with 2K epoxy. I need a recommendation on the paint, I want to paint them black.
Can someone recommend a durable off the shelf paint, it must be durable and the correct sheen, not too shiny and not to dull...thanks in advance for your help..Rich

1711973488323.png

I use John Deere Blitz Black on radiator tanks, it is one step above Flat as far as Gloss goes.

1711973697193.png

I use John Deere Medium Gloss Black for trailer frames, drive pulleys, sealing and undercoating car bodies, is one step down from High Gloss Black as far as shine goes.

If you use the Synthetic Enamel "5 Star Hardener" (if you can find it) that will make it shine just a little more, but speeds up drying and makes it more durable. Although you can use it right out of the can as is, it is self priming and easy to touch up if need be.

It is a synthetic enamel, so if you are going to spray it you need their John Deere Paint Thinner, (same as the old Dupont Fast Dry 3812s reducer).

Can be brushed on, lays out pretty nice if you are quick and smooth with your strokes.

I brushed on this upper engine with the Medium Gloss Black and the Hardener.

1711976165205.png

You may want to go with the Blitz Black as it has less sheen, looking more like Factory off the shelf parts.

Have to remember to stir these paints up very well as the Flattening Compound settles into the bottom of the cans, as that is what reduces the overall shine.

Last edited:
Could also just use > Rust-Oleum Semi-Gloss Protective Enamel in the aerosol can from the hardware store, decent product and easy to touch up if need be.

Sprayed these used 40 year old brake drums with it, has good coverage and build.

Rust-oleum Semi-Gloss.jpg

Thanks Gorge Jets.... Ive heard that John Deere paint is pretty good stuff, i will definately check it out, thanks again for the recommendation...Rich

i've used bill hirsch "super black chassis" for that OEM look. still look good 10~12 yrs later. i didn't spray it, just straight out of the can with a brush. the Deere paint would probably give the same results and be super tough as well.

because they're new, i'd just hit them with eastwood extreme chassis black in satin. spray bomb is about $20 and the 2K spray is around $30

-
Back