Leaf Spring Question

-

1969SWINGER340

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a new pair of Leaf Springs for my Dart. This has seemed to be a pretty big topic on this site, as far as all the JC Whitney issues, vs. 4 leaf, and 5 leaf springs. I spoke with JC Whitney, and they do not have the 5 leaf any more. It seems that the 5 leaf is the HD leaf spring? I called ESPO Springs and Things, which is about 1 1/2 hours from me in PA. wanting to know their prices. They explained that the stock rear spring for a Original 1969 340 Dart is a 6 Leaf. Is that a XHD ? I did not go to check my original springs as of yet to confirm this, but I will. I was told that the 6 leaf would be the OEM replacement, and that the car would have its original stock ride height. I was advised the price would be $180.00 I do not want a 1970's jacked up high rider look. Anyone have these springs from Springs and Things, or any pics to share with me. Thanks so much!!!!! Mark

AdamR said:
I havent used them but the Mancini Racings XHD springs are the same as the JCW springs I believe.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/extraheavyduty.html

I have these on my 68 Cuda and it sets just the way I like it. About an inch higher than stock. The only thing was Mancini's really hammered me on the shipping. $60 to ship them I thought was quite salty. They didn't even put them in a box. Just slapped the UPS label on them and sent them out. Of course I had to use a razor blade to remove the labels and scratched up the new paint. They never told me up front the shipping price and I never asked so I learned a hard lesson. Ask shipping price before you buy.

I put a set of 5 leaf HD police pkg springs on my 80 Cordoba from ESPO and it did NOT jack it up. It sat just fine and rode well too. ESPO knows their stuff...great to deal with.

I have the Mancini XHD springs on my 68 Barracuda. It sits about 1-2" higher than level in the back. These springs have 5 leaves, the stock springs had 6 leaves. Each leaf in the XHD spring is slightly thicker than the leaves in the 6 leaf. Overall the XHD spring is about 1/16" thicker in the center than the 6 leaf I replaced.

The car actually rides better with the XHD spring. I believe this is because the spring has the proper arch so you get the correct action. The 6-leaf had sacked out to the point that longer shackles were required to hold the car level.

I have ESPO springs on my Duster. Though there 1 inch higher springs, the ride is great. They give the car a good rake. If ESPO says they have springs for your car, and I know they do, they'll be what they say they'll be.

My mechanic, a MoPar only guy that worked (retired) on everything from daily beaters with rust to super mint Cudas and road runners etc...... used ESPO to replace the tired units on all the cars.

All whom had the work done never rasied a problem, only delight.

And what they said above.

-
Back