Leaf spring question

-

jos51700

Green Bearing thread connoisseur
Reaction score
I've looked at fiberglass and carbon fiber leaf springs to save weight. Problem is, they break, and they're mono leaf.

Do people ever run a steel single main leaf with fiberglass or carbon fiber leaves for the rest of the stack?
No breaky breaky but still lighter than a pile of steel.

Are you looking to save weight for competition or ride quality? If it's for competition you can eliminate the leaf springs entirely and go with a 4 link set up. If it's ride quality your after then you can go with a air ride system. I don't know how much carbon leaf springs would be but I'm sure that they are not cheap

Are you looking to save weight for competition or ride quality? If it's for competition you can eliminate the leaf springs entirely and go with a 4 link set up. If it's ride quality your after then you can go with a air ride system. I don't know how much carbon leaf springs would be but I'm sure that they are not cheap
Hypothetical question, but I would assume to be in favor of keeping the leaf spring system.

If it's for ride quality; try this;
I run 295/50-15s on 10" alloy wheels at 24psi...... and my springs have an extra main leaf, so I can run them with nearly no arch. Rides barely harsher than stock, but totally acceptable, and corners nice too. Oh yeah, I installed some plastic inter-leaf sliders between some of the leafs, behind the axle, but they don't last long..

If it's for street performance tho, the 295s will burn thru the soft-compound part pretty quick, so you might as well budget for something like Caltracks, in which case, yur back to just one steel mainleaf.

If I wanted more street-bite, on my two-main leaf system, I'd just build me some aluminum slapper bars.

I've looked at fiberglass and carbon fiber leaf springs to save weight. Problem is, they break, and they're mono leaf.

Do people ever run a steel single main leaf with fiberglass or carbon fiber leaves for the rest of the stack?
No breaky breaky but still lighter than a pile of steel.
All of the 'W' body GM's (Lumina, GranPrix, SomersetRegal, CutlassSupreme) used a single transverse 'glass leaf, & for a more accurate comparison, GM's Astro & Safari vans used them RWD/AWD. In the entire time I worked, from their intro to the end of normal service life, I only saw a few failures. A lot of them were work vans & got abused, the actual failure rate was relatively low. Unless You're bulding a powerhouse, or planning on clutch-drop abuse, a normal cruiser will be fine.
Asking speculative questions like this is like asking if ***/XXR-XX are good tires for My A-body, well, exactly what are You going to do with it?......
I'm not aware if anybody has built a hybrid stack, & GM used steel mono's on F-body & NOVA platform cars, who said they never break? I've had front spring eyes break on a traditional leaf stack, sh*t gets old/fatiqued & fails, so nothing lasts forever.
EDIT; P.S., I like the hybrid concept, but not sure how many actual #'s it would save.

Last edited:
-
Back