leaf spring relocation question

-

737jetdr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to relocate my leaf springs and do a mini tub on my Darts. I have a question about mounting the front spring perch boxes. I have seen the rear frame notched out on the inside, the outside and cutout completely. Do the boxes get welded to the insides of the frame, the outsides or cutout completely and welded right in the middle of the frame? Or cutout completely and welded offset to the inside of the frames so that the outside of the box matches the outside of the frame rails? I have looked at a lot of pics and have seen it done many ways. Just worried about front to rear alignment of the leaf springs.

Any clear pics would be helpful too. Thanks.

Some people leave the outside frame alone and remove both the inside frame.I cut a notch out of the frame then tac welded the boxes in place for alignment to make sure springs are positioned properly.RMS sells boxes with multiple front spring holes for ride height(around $100)The hardest part for me was drilling out the rear frame for tubes,with the spare tire well in the way.I used a 90* drill for this and a 1 inch metal hole saw.Here,s some pics to give you some insight..
Oh I also moved my rear back 1 inch for a 15x29 inch slick:D
View attachment car pics 66 Dart 085.jpg

View attachment car pics 66 Dart 086.jpg

View attachment car pics 66 Dart 097.jpg

View attachment car pics 66 Dart 093.jpg

View attachment car pics 66 Dart 090.jpg

View attachment car pics 66 Dart 094.jpg

View attachment car pics 66 Dart 092.jpg

Which boxes? I was going to order a couple of kits from PST suspension. got them on sale for $99.00 ea.

I left the outsides of the frame in place,figured if you are doing all that work might as well get all the room thats available.

i am working on this myself, i have taken the front hangers off 1 set of springs, flipped them up side down and for now just tac welded them in for placement, bolt patern works out so i am still the same bolt on connection as original just in a different location, looking through here at the pics i think i will do the same thing as pettybludart and drill and add a sleve in the frame for the rear, when i mocked it up with using the spring hangers off another set of springs it lifts it up 3 3/4 inches, but with his idea i should get back down to 2 1/2 to 3/4

My Barracuda is mini-tubbed just like Pettybludart's car. In my opinion, this is the safest and cleanest way to do it. Also, you can bolt in all your stock parts again in wanted.

Hey I see your in Indy, We can help you out with any questions you may have, We build are own boxes and subframe connectors if your interested in stopping buy the shop we would be happy to give you a quote on doing some or all the work your asking about.
Tim

I centered mine with the the frame to keep everything straight.

Attachments

• 16.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 711
correct me if im wrong but how much stregnth is taken out of the frame by cutting it out for the box, i would think the only stregnth would be in the rear quarters???

Once the box is welded in, it will be pretty solid. Plus I run frameties to make the frame stronger to stop any twist.

correct me if im wrong but how much stregnth is taken out of the frame by cutting it out for the box, i would think the only stregnth would be in the rear quarters???

This is why you should get the RMS boxes or make your own out of plate steel. The Mopar performance ones are too thin.

I bought the relocation kit from PST suspension. The boxes are really long and will require some trimming. I ended up buying another set of just the boxes from RMS. these have the spring holes drilled already. I used the RMS boxes and notched the frame bottom out completely. I bolted the front spring mount back in place and bought an 8" long 5/8" bolt and nut and attached the new box to the old mount. Worked like a champ. Moved my springs in 3 2/3". Before I mounted the RMS boxes I used them as a template and marked my PST boxes to use in my other car.

I was amazed at how thin the frame rail material actually is. The new boxes are much thicker and should be stronger.

-
Back