Leaf Spring Replacement

-

Shane

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am about to tackle swapping out my rear leaf springs. I have never done this before, so I am just looking for pointers and/or advice.

Put the back frame of the car on jack stands. then jack the diff up until tension is off the spring. then un do the U bolts, then take the spring out and put the new one on.

I am missing anything? Is this a simple enough process can be done in my garage over the weekend??

Thanks

Shane

that's about it. Spray a lot of good penetrating oil on the u-bolt threads the night before.... you won't be sorry....speaking of the u-bolts, you should replace them while you are at it. A lot of people reuse the old ones but, it is recommended to replace them whenever you take them off.

In case you don't know already, you can't remove the front of the spring by removing the through bolt in the spring eye. You have to remove the hanger because there isn't enough room between the hanger and the frame rail to get the bolt out. Fortunately, the hanger is held in by 4 nuts. Unfortunately, they can be a real bear to break loose. Use lots of penetrating oil on them starting a day in advance. Hose them down 3 or 4 times before removal and a good 1/2" drive impact gun helps a lot. While you have it apart you may as well change the bushings in the rear shackles too.

Thanks for the info!

I do have bushings for the rear....

I will soak it a couple different days with penetrating oil.

I am going to look into new U bolts

Thanks again!

shane

When i doo mine, I usually do one side at a time. This way, you remove the u-bolts from one side, place the jack under he diff to hold the diff, then remove the rear shackle bolt so the spring will lay on the ground, then remove the front hanger bolts. (install the opposite way.)
This way you do not need to balance the whole spring / diff assembly on the jack, and you don't have to un-do any brake lines or anything. Also, with everything loose, if you are trying to put some torque to any bolts to get them loose, it is a pain if the damn thing is moving around on you. At least if one side is done at a time, then it is still held in pretty rigit to the rear frame.

Well I started doing the swamp this afternoon. I got the u Joints off, got the nuts loosened and ready to come off the front hanger. The problem I am having, is how the heck do you get the rear bolt off?

I un-did the nut does the spring just slide off the stud? I beat mine with everything I got and it isnt moving.

Any suggestions, or jsut keep pounding until it slides off?

Soakem good!Pound!Or just cut and replace with new ones,which if yours aare rotted in there?You should replace them anyways.Good Luck!

Well The problem I am having, is how the heck do you get the rear bolt off?

I un-did the nut does the spring just slide off the stud? quote]

I don't get what you are saying.?

Did you take both shackle nuts off and then remove the one side of the shackle?

Then the leaf just slide off the shackle stud. Hammer may be necessary.

Clean the threads first. I use a tooth brush sized wire brush to get the crud off, then penetrating oil.

I got the nuts off, the problem is the leaf isnt sliding off the stud. I have been beating on it with a hammer. I will have at it again tonight after work

I normally pry it off... hitting it with a hammer usually won't work too well because your bushings take up most of the energy that your hammer blow delivers.

Did you take both shackle nuts off and then remove the one side of the shackle?

Then the leaf just slide off the shackle stud. Hammer may be necessary.

Sounds right. With the rear suspension I just cut off any bolts that don't cooperate. It always ends up being quicker and easier that way. :blackeye:

Alright guys, thanks to the suggestions I have got it off.

But next question, how the heck do you get the front hanger off the old leaf spring. I have tried heating it , it wont budge.

Is there new hangers available to buy?

ok guys, i know I ask some dumb ones ...but its only when I am really frustrated + I have had a few..lol

I worked through my issues, and got the new leaf springs bolted up. What should I torque everything down too?? ( u bolt nuts, rear shackle nuts, front spring eye bolt?)

Thanks

Shane

-
Back