Leaf spring urethane bushing install on 68 dart

-

fulltank

Reaction score
20231002_125847.jpg
when installing the new urethane bushing do I need to remove the metal ring?
I don't think it would fit if I leave it in place.
I remove the original rubber bushing already.
And thoughts on this is appreciated.

Check to see if the bushing fits into it before you remove it. If it fits the way it is, leave it in. If it's too small, remove it.

With the poly bushings it depends on the manufacturer and the application, sometimes they use the old shells from the rubber bushings and sometimes they don't.

In either case, remember to use the poly grease provided with the bushings liberally, because the poly bushings rotate/slide where the old rubber bushings flexed/twisted.

There is no way it will fit so I'll remove it
Thanks

Just a FYI, when you remove that sleeve the eye of the spring will close some making it a bear to get the new bushing in.
I used an air chisel to open it back up then remove the tool and leave the chisel in place.
One of the times the chisel shot out and went flying.
Be careful.

I'm sure you know what you're doing but I personally wouldn't set that part of the frame on the jack stand.

Just a FYI, when you remove that sleeve the eye of the spring will close some making it a bear to get the new bushing in.
I used an air chisel to open it back up then remove the tool and leave the chisel in place.
One of the times the chisel shot out and went flying.
Be careful.
^^^ this.

after having a "chisel incident" of my own, now i use a exhaust pipe expander.

and don't skimp on the lube.

I'm sure you know what you're doing but I personally wouldn't set that part of the frame on the jack stand.
Thanks for spotting that.
I placed it there to paint only. I'm not doing any mechanical work in that position.

Thanks for spotting that.
I placed it there to paint only. I'm not doing any mechanical work in that position.
Isn't the leaf spring bushing mechanical work?

It is , im setting up installing the bushing (while the leaf springs are off the vehicle while the paint dries for a couple days

-
Back