leaf springs

-
I am curious as well, I purchased the SS springs that were mentioned earlier in this thread. I'm building and old school handling car and everyone says go with the SS leaf springs, as big of torsion bars you can get, redo the bushings, and add at least a front sway bar.

I wonder if the springs on your 65 were replaced at different times? Is it possible one side broke and was replaced and the other wasn't so now it's weaker from more stress cycles?

I took off the original hd springs when I swapped in the 8 3/4. The heavy duty suspension (including the torque boxes) and 10 inch brakes were the original that came on the car when it was made. When we took thecar out of my dads barn in 2001 I did put a polygraphite set of bushings and complete kit on the front.

The only thing I can think on ss springs being difficult on the street is if they are installed incorrectly and the springs get unstalled on the wrong side. If someone has examples of issues other than that, I'd be interested in hearing them..

call the dealership and get the real ones for about 125usd a spring , I paid like 135-140 cdn for mine and Ma Mopar pays to ship em to the dealership where you pick them up , the other thing to remember is if you go to more spring ie +2 lift or SS springs you should also go to a taller shock . I have posted this many times but here goes again , When the economy started tanking Ma Mopar started clearing out the Performance Parts Division and just about everything in the catalog got dropped about 40% , many of those discount prices still apply even tho the company changed hands and is in fact reproducing a lot of the parts in the catalog through 3rd party suppliers . Download the PDF file for this catalog and call your local parts dept with the part # of what you want and they will quote you . I also got the proper shocks for ABody SS springs for about 40 bucks each this way. As for handling if you make big torque there can be a little shimmy when the springs unload after launch but this is can be tuned out with the Torsion bars and why anyone would put a spring clearly sold for drag racing applications on an autocross car is beyond me .

Espo was very helpful for me as well. They helped me order the correct bushings . My car was low and leaning from worn out leaf springs.

You can also have your springs re-arched at a local shop. While you have them out, put new bushings in.

Even with stock hd springs my drivers rear had always been slightly higher than passenger. It evens out when I sit my fat arse down in it . ;-)

The SS springs sat about 2" higher in the rear, which dipped the nose and inch. Adding the inch back to the front height, only made the total height diff on the back at 1"

what about torsion bars being in backwards? will that affect the rear leaning to one side?
I don't know about that, never tried swapping them, and made sure I didn't mix them up when I rebuilt the front end.

I hear ESPO ESPO ESPO, don't forget about JR spring on google, and McVeigh trucking on e-bay.

If torsion bars are backwards then the front end will settle beyond adjustment quickly. Or so that I have heard. Left and right are related to part numbers, odd number on one side and even on other. I do not remember which is which, sorry.
edit: There is only one rear spring set that Right and left do not matter and that was the "kit car".

On my 66 project, My main leafs are ok but the secondary's were broke, not all but most. I am going to junk yard and pull the secondary's off a 2wd Dakota. This should only cost a few bucks, if it don't work out I'll pony up for some new ones.

My 65 coronet I installed super stock springs. Sitting still the car has the ride high I like. Only after a friend took a few pictures of of it going down the highway did I notice the rear end sinks and the front rise. Not what I wanted.

If going donor parts, do not worry about brand only width. I have used 2 leafs out of a 4 leaf Chevy Pu. before. On that car you could carry anything in the back without worry. If going by width only, you can also go through the loose springs also at the salvage yard.

Get a MOPAR performance part book to get the number of the spring you want and go to your local Dodge dealer and order them free shipping

Espo was very helpful for me as well. They helped me order the correct bushings . My car was low and leaning from worn out leaf springs.

X2.....
.... and I went with the polymer bushings for longer wear.

Another vote for ESPO here. Placed my order and a couple of days later, there was a pile of parts on my doorstep. It doesn't get much easier than that.

I ordered the +1 inch springs, and I do have to say that they did settle quite a bit. Here's a pic.

IMG_6702.jpg

man that is one gorgeous looking ride.... :cheers:

T-bars put on the wrong sides would be bad, but front to back shouldn't behave any different since twisting force is the same.

-
Back