Leak on fuel line

-

element303

Reaction score
Hey guys. Before I drive around and waste another 2 hours like yesterday:

I have a leak at the fuel line that connects the pump with the carburator. The leak is on the connection at the carb. I thought it was the oring but after a neighbor helped me to start the car while I was watching, I realized the gas is leaking in the backside of the nut that connects to the carb between the line and the nut. It there a way to fix this and if not, where can I get replacement? Does Auto Zone etc have those lines? I doubt it but im not sure.

what type of line are we speaking here, metal, rubber, or AN-6 ?
the nipple that goes into the carb is easy enough to replace, and autozone or napa should carry them
depending on the nipple and the carb (wouldn't hurt to know what carb were talking about either) this is either a conical nipple (think NPT thread) that seals itself as it goes, and those sometimes like a little yellow Teflon tape to ensure it seals
or, sometimes there is a washer (I think that might be what you mean by oring)

absolutely worst case scenario the body of the carb is cracked, but that's not very likely

If you are talking the steel line going into the carb, that is a double flare, try tightening it...

Or inspect it and look for gouges or nicks in the sealing area...

If it's too damaged to fix, you can get straight tubing at the parts or hardware store and cut and bend to your cinfiguration...

what type of line are we speaking here, metal, rubber, or AN-6 ?
the nipple that goes into the carb is easy enough to replace, and autozone or napa should carry them
depending on the nipple and the carb (wouldn't hurt to know what carb were talking about either) this is either a conical nipple (think NPT thread) that seals itself as it goes, and those sometimes like a little yellow Teflon tape to ensure it seals
or, sometimes there is a washer (I think that might be what you mean by oring)

absolutely worst case scenario the body of the carb is cracked, but that's not very likely

Yes the metal one. Its all still factory, the carb too. Carter I think. But its the fuel line. The gas runs from the backside of the nut that tightens to the carb.

there is a nut that goes around the fuel line and into the carb, correct?
that should be the NPT style thread (not sure about the exact size)
you can not replace that nut alone, since it is put on the fuel line before it is flared, but you can either replace the entire section or try some yellow Teflon tape on it (that what I would do first)

there is a nut that goes around the fuel line and into the carb, correct?
that should be the NPT style thread (not sure about the exact size)
you can not replace that nut alone, since it is put on the fuel line before it is flared, but you can either replace the entire section or try some yellow Teflon tape on it (that what I would do first)

Thats correct. Its on the line so it looked to me like I need to replace the whole thing. So I would use the teflon tape simply around the outside behind the nut?

No hali, its a 318.

Ok that nut is the needle and seat. Hold it tight with a wrench and take the line off and look at it like KK said. If you do not se anything hold the "nut" and tighten the line on. Should seal fine I would not use tape in case it gets into the system and causes the needle to leak and run rich. You can get it really tight just don't go crazy with it.

Should seal fine I would not use tape in case it gets into the system and causes the needle to leak and run rich. You can get it really tight just don't go crazy with it.

true, but I figured he had already tried that
IF he cant get it tight (or it wont seal) I wouldn't hesitate to put some tape around it
just like always when you use it, run the tape counterclock wise so the edge wont catch when it tightens, and be sure not to let the edge of the tape protrude into the carb

I took a pic, actually I took the whole line out to look at it closely. It looks like someone already used tape there. But it looked to me like the fuel was leaking between the nut and line and not in between the nuts. Or needle and seat, sorry. I should probably open it and remove all this old crap and get the yellow teflon to seal it again.

I have been using the PTFE? paste from the hardware store and really like the results and you do not see it after you tighten and wipe it off.

Forgot to attach the pic

14079503_1121626504597590_7919851906095640942_n.jpg

That's not a nut. :D

The line can crack right behind the flare on the nut side and cause that same thing.

I would take the nut of the line and inspect the flare, carefully

Go to the parts store and get some 5/16" steel tubing and make another line coming out of the carb...

That fitting on the end of yours has seen better days....

Don't mess around with gas leaks, I've seen them cause cars to catch on fire....

Is a $7 piece of steel tubing worth catching your car on fire????

Put the brass fitting back in the carb...

I just took it apart and back together with teflon and really made it tight (it was pretty lose before) and now its ok. However, now the gas shots out of the top of the carb and its flooded... Fak me... I need to open the carb again. Just cleaned it.

Sounds like you forgot to put something back in when you cleaned it.

sounds like the pressure that used to shoot the fuel out the connection is now shooting it out the carb
of course, there is a good chance some junk got in there and now the float is stuck or the needle wont seat...specially with all that Teflon tape on there, right Halifax?
:poke:

sounds like the pressure that used to shoot the fuel out the connection is now shooting it out the carb
of course, there is a good chance some junk got in there and now the float is stuck or the needle wont seat...specially with all that Teflon tape on there, right Halifax?
:poke:

I just cleaned it before I installed it. Probably I missed somehting with the floater, but I dont recall anything. Ill take it out again later or open it as it is installed. Dont even think I need to take it out.

I just took it apart and back together with teflon and really made it tight (it was pretty lose before) and now its ok. However, now the gas shots out of the top of the carb and its flooded... Fak me... I need to open the carb again. Just cleaned it.

That brass fitting on the front of the carb is part of the needle and seat, you must have gotten some dirt in there when you took it apart. If any dirt gets in between the needle and seat, it won't shut off the fuel supply and it will flood out the top vent in the carb...

CLEAN YOUR NEEDLE AND SEAT!!! :soapbox:

Like I always tell people ANY time you mess with a fuel line the possibilities of it getting crap in the seat is real high.
You'll get it.

I hate to admit it but I did a really stupid mistake. I didnt notice that the needle fell out when I installed everything. Found it under the car though :D Running perfect now. I just have to adjust everything because the throttle is a little hard to push at first.

Can you guys gove me a quick tutorial how and where to adjust when the tranny shifts? Now it shifts up very late and also shifts down from 3 to 2 for no reason when I accelerate slightly. I must have messed something up with the connections around the springs.

-
Back