Leaking 727

-

dostroupe

Reaction score
I know Jack Diddley about transmissions. Well, the inner workings at least. I have a 727 that had sat for 18 years in the truck. When I got it running it performed flawlessly but started leaking everywhere. I replaced the seals and gaskets which sealed it up nice. Just sitting and running, and even running the pump in neutral, no leaks. After test driving it and putting it on my lift I found a leak. It's coming from what I think is the front band adjustment, above the shift shaft, and running down. How do I seal this? Can I just take the locknut off and put some thread sealant on it?

Did you replace the seal under where the shift linkage attaches to the valve body (shift shaft)?

lYou mean the bolt in the back?Loosen the nut, hold the bolt, then turn the bolt 2 to 3 revs out. Count exactly!
Use brake cleaner and the orange tread sealer like the one in the picture from Mercedes. Im pretty sure its from loctite or 3M. Dont use silicon, the sealer above works with oily treads, silicon not. Screw it back in and tighten locknut. Yoz can adjust the front band if necessary, follow the manual.
Marco

20230807_174251.jpg

20230807_174208.jpg

Yes I replaced the shift shaft seal, slip yoke seal and the oring on the dipstick tube. Well then of course the pan gasket and filter. I sprayed brake cleaner all around to clean everything up. That's how I know it is coming from the front band adjuster. Thanks for the tips. I didn't know if I could back that nut off or not.

Torque converter may be leaking back into trans case (look at "torque converter drain back") that's the only way fluid will get that high in the case while parked)
The other one which has bitten me a few times lately is the shift shaft seal.

-
Back