Leaking Coolant

-
Those exhaust flange bolts are pretty tough. I thought my half inch impact would snap them right off on my 340. All it did was beat my hand to death with the wrench I had on the other side. Heat is your best bet if you can get some torches you'll be done in no time. Evan a propane torch will help. Dont break the exhaust manifold with that air chiesel. The bolts maybe tougher than the manifold.

If heat doesn't work, try a nut splitter. There is plenty of room to get at the nuts. I sawed them off with a hacksaw, when young and inexperienced.

If you heat up the broken extractor red hot it will ruin the temper and make it drill able again

Good news!!

Got the manifolds off, and broken bolts and studs out. Now I am just waiting for parts and I am going to throw everything back together and get her running again next weekend. Flushed out the radiator and coolant passages in the engine, they were both nasty. Thanks again guys! Here's a couple of pics

Attachments

• DSCN3083.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN3084.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCN3086 (2).jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCN3090.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 84
So its been a while since I last posted.. but I am finally ready to put everything back together. Replaced some other things while the engine was open including a water pump, thermostat, exhaust valves, intake valves, valve stem seals, and gaskets. Freeze plugs went in nice though. Here's a couple of pics. Hopefully she runs well afterwards! Fingers crossed.

Attachments

• DSCN3124.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCN3088.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN3125.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 79
Some of the studs/bolts go into the water jacket
(exh manifold studs,water pump bolts,etc) ,and need to be sealed.
Look into the holes of where the stud or bolt goes. If it goes into the block,it must be sealed with a thread sealant.
Permatex High Heat (red )thread sealant will be your best friend.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 65
-
Back