leaking from bellhousing

-

Bush

Reaction score
help! just installed a new 727 and its leaking somewhere behind the torque converter. i'm assuming front seal? is there anything else to check before pulling it? its brand new from Coan racing

That sucks! Regardless if it's the seal or possibly the pump gasket, it sure sound like it's gotta come back out? Trans R&R's suck, I feel for you.....

That sucks! Regardless if it's the seal or possibly the pump gasket, it sure sound like it's gotta come back out? Trans R&R's suck, I feel for you.....

lol i was hoping maybe some stupid vent i hear about but i have no idea.... out it comes tomorrow i guess ugh...

lol i was hoping maybe some stupid vent i hear about but i have no idea.... out it comes tomorrow i guess ugh...

Maybe someone else has another idea? Don't yank it too quick, just incase.

Member "fishy68" knows a lot about this. He sometimes checks in latter in the evening, so maybe he'll catch this.

Check for a loose filter (they can suck air and aerate the fluid making it vent foam)
Make sure it's not majorly overfilled.

Then it's a pull.

If the seal happend to pop out they can be locktighted in place, but still replace it so it has the new resistance going in.
Grease the inside of the seal lip where the spring is to help keep the spring from popping off when the converter goes in.
(this could be why it leaks now)

If it's loose pump bolts you really need to replace the gasket.
It's too risky to have it out and not do it.

If it is overfull it could be foaming the trans fluid and pushing it out the vent (at the top of the pump in the bellhousing).

How about a bit more info. Has it been ran, how's the fluid level? There is a vent at the top of the front pump. If it's over full it could push fluid out the vent. Just trying to lay out some simple things that could be before you have to fight pulling it.

Man you guys are quick. Took me thirty seconds to reply and you all are on it.

Had the same issue some time back. Checked oil level what seemed like almost 1000 times. Trans came out 3, yes three times. Pump seal was changed 3 times. Still leaked. We pulled the trans a 4th time & after many four letter words that begin with F, we discovered the circular weld on the converter hub (The one that drives the trans oil pump) was cracked!! Not visible, but showed up on a DyePen test. I hope this is not the case with your leak. Could be though, considering the trans is brand new.

For me always New Trans = New Converter.= Common sense.

Long while back there was a guy who found a darn sticker on his new or reman'd torque convertor has moved to under the seal lip. I know stranger things have happened but can you imagine that much work caused by something so insignificant as a sticker on a part ?
Let us know what you find.

Long while back there was a guy who found a darn sticker on his new or reman'd torque convertor has moved to under the seal lip. I know stranger things have happened but can you imagine that much work caused by something so insignificant as a sticker on a part ?
Let us know what you find.

Seen that before, and is why all stickers should be removed before the install.
It's rare but it happens.
The one that most non prefessionals miss is the spring popping off the pump seal when the converter goes in. (that is why I mentioned greasing it in.)

yea, front leaks suck. if you have to pull it, pressure check the convertor and check that little plug for the front lever pin. i usually pull them out and retape them.

The plug Zijmer mentioned that seals up where the front band lever pin goes in is the only thing that you can check or do anything about if it's leaking short of yanking the trans. If it wasn't sealed good or tightened good it can leak there. It's accessible (just barely) with a long 1/4" drive extension. Most have 1/4" square hole so the extension just slips right in but I have seen a couple that required a allen socket. If you pull the torque converter access cover you will be able to see if the oil is coming from the middle part (front pump/converter problem) or off to the side which would be the plug leaking.

-
Back