leaking gear oil out of 8 3/4 chunk

-

340plot

the bushy bush
Reaction score
i am leaking fluid out of the 3:55 posi chunk that is in my car. it is leaking behind where the driveshaft connects to. if someone could fill me in on the right terms for these parts. lol. i was wondering if i am able to just do it myself, or do i have to get all the tolerences redone at a shop?
where would i even order this seal at? or would i need to order other stuff too? i noticed this after wondering why my car was doing a one legger burnout.

i am leaking fluid out of the 3:55 posi chunk that is in my car. it is leaking behind where the driveshaft connects to. if someone could fill me in on the right terms for these parts. lol. i was wondering if i am able to just do it myself, or do i have to get all the tolerences redone at a shop?
where would i even order this seal at? or would i need to order other stuff too? i noticed this after wondering why my car was doing a one legger burnout.

There is a pinion seal behind the yoke that is replaceable. But the fact that your SG is only spinning one tire, you have other problems with the SG.

do i have to take it to find out if it a cone style or clutch type?
which one is better?

do i have to take it to find out if it a cone style or clutch type?
which one is better?

Yes you do have to remove the center section from the axle to find out if it is a cone or clutch type. The clutch type sure grips are more desirable because they are rebuildable, cone style are not, BUT you can machine the carrier in the cone style and use a shim kit. On another note, you will never know the difference in performance vs. the two. they perform the same, and both will last a long time....

-
Back