leaking like a sieve!

-

rigger3006

Reaction score
just installed new head gasket on demon and fired it up after a month, all great til i looked under car and trans fluid was running pretty steady out of trans (727) inspection plate, any ideas on what i should be looking for when i pull it out again. i just installed a hughes 3000 stall converter about a month ago and yes i was dumb enough to run it with too much trans fluid, about on inch overfull on dipstick...let me have it!

Is it still over full? If so it will leak !! When you put the new convertor in did you replace the front seal?

Both of those could be your problem. Start by getting the fluid level correct and see if you still have a leak.

Since it's still over filled, it may just be coming out the vent...
Just some food for thought.

just got level down, still leaking, got some new noise, sort of a low whining hum coming from trans area. have a spare trans from a challenger but unsure if its runnable or not

Did you fill the convertor with fluid before installing it? It may not have any fluid in it and that may be where your whine is coming from. I would think it is hard to get fluid to the right level in a dry convertor by just letting the transmission pump it in...... just my thoughts!

i had already been driving car with this converter, blew a head gasket and poked two pushrods through rockers during a burnout, car has sat for 4 weeks waiting for parts, now motors good but now this

Whining?You may have damaged the Trans pump when installing the converter/trans.

Wondering if the converter hub was too tight in the crank perhaps.... Could have put too much pressure on the pump when the tranny bolted up.

everything was fine until the 1st gear burnout at 7000 rpm(one of many, i never did claim to be easy on equipment!). probably gonna get spare trans gone through and install soon i hope

Sprag could be shot??, your going to have to take that tranny out and go through it, boy I don't envy you doing that job unless you have a hoist, but if your doing it on your back...that's another story good luck!!

ya i got hoist, of course cars in the dirt part of yard, wifes 72 duster is in my usual spot, and of course hers is sitting on jackstands for at least another month!

everything was fine until the 1st gear burnout at 7000 rpm(one of many, i never did claim to be easy on equipment!). probably gonna get spare trans gone through and install soon i hope

First gear burnout is an absolute no no. I wouldn't run it until you pull it and go through it. The last thing you want is that trans grenading and taking your foot off, or worse.

Always, always, always do your burnout starting in second gear.

A thread was just started here. The guy is lucky to only have gotten a broken foot! AND he had a blanket on the trans.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=322926

BTW, build a solid 904 and you can rest a lot easier.

-
Back