Leaking Radiator

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
So my radiator appears to be leaking from the overflow. I have no idea what or where to look to resolve this.

I have replaced the thermostat and about 8 months ago I flushed and changed the coolant.

should be able to get it welded at a local radiator shop,...maybe a little JB weld at the crack

Are you saying it's coming out of the port on the side of the neck? If so, you need an overflow bottle and the tube into it from that port. A little over flow from there is a normal occurrence, especially on a hot day. With the bottle on there and the tube set up properly it will suck the coolant back into the rad when it cools.

Does the engine run hot?

Badsport that is EXACTLY what I was wondering. The engine was running hot but I topped it off and all is well now.

So how do I properly setup the overflow bottle? Drill a hole into a lid and seal around the tube and hole?

I bought the smaller of the 2 overflow bottle kits available at Advance Auto Parts.
It works perfectly with the amount of coolant my 67 model 22 inch radiator transfers.

Badsport that is EXACTLY what I was wondering. The engine was running hot but I topped it off and all is well now.

So how do I properly setup the overflow bottle? Drill a hole into a lid and seal around the tube and hole?

You can find an original and install it, if you do and you run the hose it should be within an inch or two from the bottom of the catch can.

You can also run the one from Summit that Marland posted. That's what I run on my car. You just have to check it and possibly drain it from time to time and put the coolant back in your radiator.

I think you can run a tube from the petcock on that as well and leave it open.

When you install the catch jug, if you have it set to return the coolant to the radiator, you won't want an airtight seal as it will probably try and collapse the container.

I put the pitcock on the bottom and ran a hose from it to the radiator. I leave the pitcock open so the rad draws the coolant back in as it cools. The other end I connected a hose to it and ran the hose down just like it was on the rad. I bought the clear catch jug so I could keep a eye on the coolant level. I havent had any problems running it like that.

-
Back