Leaking steering box...

-

Sweetjones

Reaction score
I have a 75 duster with mildly built 340. It has power steering and the steering box is original to the car from what I can tell. I'm running long tube headers so taking the steering box out is not really an option I want to consider. It is leaking right where the steering colum connects to the box. My question is where can I get a new seal for the power steering box. Also does the whole back of the unit screw off because there are raised sections on the back that look like it could be unscrewed.

Another quick question. If I have to pull the motor again is there a manual steering box that is a direct replacement. One that I don't have to modify the steering colum or track down the right pitman arm? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

First thing to do is turn/rock the steering shaft. If that shaft moves in and out of the seal and you can see a worn spot on the shaft, a new seal aint gonna cure it. Even if the seal stopped the leak initially, that shaft movement would wear the seals lip.

IMO....installing a shaft seal in a box is not something to do on the car (unless one was REALLY desperate); the likelihood of something not going together right is high and could be a lot worse than just a new seal leak. I would not even consider it.

Can you just tilt the motor to get out the box?

Figured I would jump on here and give an update on the problem so that it may help someone else. I got an input shaft seal kit from oreillys. pulled the steering column out and pulled the old seal out. There was a slight wiggle in the shaft itself but I replaced the old seal with the new one which was alittle bigger than the factory one. Put it all back together and so far so good. No leaks!

-
Back