$#@# leaking trans pan.

-

Badart

Reaction score
This is the third time that I will attempt to fix a leak from my 904 factory pan. The first time I just used the fiber looking gasket with no silicone and it leaked. The second time I made sure the suface was flat, used the black RTV and a new fiber gasket. Still dripping. This is the last time I will try it. This time I picked up a rubber gasket from NAPA. Any suggestions? Please help.

Forget either type of floppy gasket (cork composite or rubber). Forget trying to seal a warped old pan.

A nice new heavy-duty pan with unwarped rails can be had from the dealer under p/n 52118 779AB, and it even includes a doughnut magnet to catch metallic shavings. While you are at the Chrysler dealer, get the really nice double-seal, reusable rigid pan gasket p/n 4295 875AC. Use new correct 5/16"-18 × 5/8" bolts with captive washer, p/n 4723 548.

It will never leak again.

727 Pan: 5211 8780AD
727 Gasket: 2464 324AB (not 100% sure this is the rigid double-seal reusable design, but it is the latest p/n from Chrysler and costs exactly the same as the rigid double-seal reusable 904 gasket listed above, so odds are pretty good)

Doughnut magnet by itself in case they've decided to quit packaging it with the pan: 3681 601

(…and I should mention, "it will never leak again" only applies if the leak is coming only from the pan. If it's coming from the dipstick tube O-ring, the selector/kickdown shaft seal, or elsewhere, the good pan and gasket won't stop it.)

That's why I love this site so much...thanks for the part numbers slantsixdan!

So I looked the 52118 pan up,and it came up as a pan for a
42RE trans ,also it is a 3" deep pan.

Is the 42RE the same bolt pattern as the 904 ?

Anything needed for the deeper pan ? Pick up spacer ?

The pans I posted will fit the applications I listed (904 and 727, respectively). No additional parts are needed.

So I looked the 52118 pan up,and it came up as a pan for a
42RE trans ,also it is a 3" deep pan.

Is the 42RE the same bolt pattern as the 904 ?

Anything needed for the deeper pan ? Pick up spacer ?

The pans will fit as the trans use the same pan.

Same problem with a 904. I will try the Chrysler pan and gasket. Thanks for the info. This seems to be a common problem

Do not use RTV on transmissions. ATF will turn it to mush.

Also make sure the transmission mounting surface itself is flat. It can warp too just like the pan.

When installing a deep pan use a filter spacer.

i have the new pan and gasket, but i havent gotten around to pulling the old pan , so i put a drip pan under the wagon, it isnt leaking bad enough for me to crawl under there right now haha.

Same problem with a 904. I will try the Chrysler pan and gasket. Thanks for the info. This seems to be a common problem

Unless you're doing super-extreme cornering or launches, a pickup extender isn't necessary. When using the new deeper pan, just add however much "extra" trans fluid (beyond the original capacity) is required to bring the level up to "Full" on the dipstick. Remember, the dipstick doesn't move when you switch pans; when it indicates "full" the fluid will be at the same level relative to the filter as it was in the old pan.

Thanks for the info slantsixdan. I ordered a pan today at the dealership $26 and the gasket was $16 they will be here monday.

Just an FYI for ya my 65 shop manual says 150in lbs on the pan gasket. Mine leak had to back off to 115 in lbs. Keeps from pushing the gasket out.

Are you surue the pan is leaking? I had a leak but it turned out to be the neutral safety switch. Replaced it and no more leak. It was leaking between the body and the porcelan part.

A filter extension isn't absolutely necessary, unless you plan on racing and I don't mean just taking it to the track. Anytime you floor it the oil can go to the back of the pan starving the trans. Just like in an engine. Why put on a deep oil pan and use the stock pickup that sits 2 inches off the floor of the pan?

Are you surue the pan is leaking? I had a leak but it turned out to be the neutral safety switch. Replaced it and no more leak. It was leaking between the body and the porcelan part.

I am sure. I checked everything above the pan and it is dry. Thanks for the advice.

Good advice on the pan gaskets, guys.
In the past I have found that many of the torqflite leaks actually come from the selecter shaft seal. It is cheap and pretty easy to replace, just requires dropping the valve body. If you are in doubt about where the fluid is coming from, clean the area around the shift selecter well, and then watch that area carefully. If the trans is full, it will leak even without the engine running.

Just a FYI, I bought a 1" filter spacer from The Moparts Connection. It was $22 and they shipped it priority mail for $5.

-
Back