Leaking Windshield Gasket

-

BlindSquirrel

Reaction score
Hello, Guys and Gals,

I seem to have a leaking windshield gasket. I'm getting a large puddle on the passenger side floorboard, and the windshield gasket is wet on the inside. I have a 67 Barracuda, and have enclosed photos of the windshield. Is this a 67 gasket/trim, or some other year? Do I have any options other than replacing the gasket?

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

BlindSquirrel

IMG_0567 (Medium).jpg

IMG_0568 (Medium).jpg

Was it replaced once already BlindSquirrel? If not, then my guess would be its a 67. But I might not understand what you are asking exactly.

That is 68 or 69 trim. The stainless trim is not from a 67. The gasket needs to have sealer used when installing. Corners are bad about leaking. Only use a butyl sealer. It may be possible to remove the trim and seal around the edges of the gasket. Had to do that in the corners with mine as the windshield guy did not do an adequate job of sealing on installation.

X2!

The 67 year trim is a lockstip (expensive) that install into the gasket to lock the gasket in.
your 68/69 has a self locking flap (zipper) that gets tucked into the gasket for self locking! The trim is known as reviel molding and is held in with clips that rust after a long time.
The 68/69 was a less expensive alternative to the 67 lockstip.
the 2 door non post cars windshield reproduced gaskets are available.

You can do a search on my screen name and look up 67 windshield and I have started or contributed to several threads and I have one with step by step install pics.

DISCLAIMER!!!: The experiance I am spewing like no bodies business is related to DARTS only and I only know very little Baracuda theory and no practical experience with them, but should be bout the same!

Someone with more experiance than me will come on board later today, so give it a bit, and the help will come in!!8)

Good Luck man, & Steve68 is givin' the facts and nothing but the facts!!:-D

There you go. It must have been replaced at some point. Plus my experience with aftermarket gaskets is they will leak if you don't seal them with some butyl sealer as mentioned by Steve68.

The bad thing is most of the newer glass guys only know about polyureathane sealers and give you that blank stare when you tell them they have to use butyl sealer.

Thank you to all who have helped. At least now I know that the car has a 68/69 windshield gasket and trim. 64dart170 - your thread on windshield replacement was very well done, and very helpful.

I guess that I will try sealing the windshield with some butyl sealer first. If that fails, I'll have a glass service remove, seal, and reinstall the glass. I assume that I should seal the glass into the gasket, as well as sealing the gasket to the fence - is that correct?

Thanks again,

BlindSquirrel

Thank you to all who have helped. At least now I know that the car has a 68/69 windshield gasket and trim. 64dart170 - your thread on windshield replacement was very well done, and very helpful.

I guess that I will try sealing the windshield with some butyl sealer first. If that fails, I'll have a glass service remove, seal, and reinstall the glass. I assume that I should seal the glass into the gasket, as well as sealing the gasket to the fence - is that correct?

Thanks again,

BlindSquirrel

LOL!
Again like Steve 68 says, butyl.

I just busted the very nice windshield in Fern and had to put in fogged junk yard find trying to save $100-$125.
I know why too, but don't tell just learn... I forgot to "Unzip" or pull loose the tucked in rubber flap so I was trying to remove while it was still locked in! So take it from me, a little less personal involvement when it comes to glass is better! Now you know how though you can keep an eye on em!! LOL!

It's well worth calling around to see who will do a remove and replace for you on a classic car. Then also ask if they use butyl.
Should not be more than $100-125 per glass. They will come to your place & remove, then leave.
You are to clean and prep/rust repair Fence.
Then when your ready, call them back out for install!
Besides, if they royally screw up, they will be fixing it up too! (Instead of you) I'm wiser/older now!!
Good Luck man!!8)

PM'd you!

I had originally suspected the wiper pivot seals, but before I could replace them I had the problem again. There is water puddling on the inside of the windshield gasket, and the only way I can figure that it got there is from the windshield.

I had originally suspected the wiper pivot seals, but before I could replace them I had the problem again. There is water puddling on the inside of the windshield gasket, and the only way I can figure that it got there is from the windshield.

10-4 Agreed
Get up under with a flashlight.
My old body resembles an upside down FAT pretzel when I do this!! LOL
Go in on your back from the pass side and check up to your wiper arm pivots or remove glove box and take a look.
I show doing this on our restore thread Titled; "ABodyBetty's NEW Baby comes home" 1975 Dart.
Check it out. We pull the windshields out on that car, rehab the gasket, install new pivot clamps, the works!8)

Thanks, again to all who are helping.

I pulled of some of my windshield trim, and there are no clips in place. Trim was just glued on with sealant. It does not look like any sealant was applied to the gasket when it was installed. Do you think that holes could be drilled and trim clips installed with the windshield and gasket in place, or do I need to remove the windshield to perform that work. I found some trim clips on line (see photo). These appear different from the clips that I saw in 64dart170's resto thread - do you think that they will work?

Thanks again for your continued help.

Windshield trim clip 2 small.jpg

Thanks, again to all who are helping.

I pulled of some of my windshield trim, and there are no clips in place. Trim was just glued on with sealant. It does not look like any sealant was applied to the gasket when it was installed. Do you think that holes could be drilled and trim clips installed with the windshield and gasket in place, or do I need to remove the windshield to perform that work. I found some trim clips on line (see photo). These appear different from the clips that I saw in 64dart170's resto thread - do you think that they will work?

Thanks again for your continued help.

On my 75 the clips on the windshield are one half the height the clips are for the back glass. Not sure how they are selling 1 style for front & back. I guess you could use the half height size on back too, I don't know, haven't done like that. I have pics on one of the threads of the clips you can get from NAPA for the back. I've always used originals I've cleaned in KERO. Our 67 didn't have clips (Lockstrip)

How do you know the clips aren't there? Sometimes they are totally burried in sealant, you might only see a bump till you get the glass out.
Did you post pics yet of what you got??
I'll review thread, if not post some pics.

I've got several threads about different windshields. I think it due to the 4 doors are impossible to get glass for and they don't make front windshield gaskets new for the 4 doors yet.8)

Ok looked at pics, looks really tight for there to be no clips!!! I bet they are there, you might not see till glass removed. It's really hard to tell without seeing the parts of trim removed. Can ya post a couple of pics of the gasket where you have removed the trim? Thanks!

The car is a '67, but the trim is '68. I'm assuming that the previous owner could not find a gasket for a '67, so he switched to a '68 gasket and trim but took a short-cut and glued the trim on, rather than installing the clips. It's dark here now, so I'll take some pics tomorrow afternoon and post them. Thanks to all for your help.:wave:

As you can see, there don't appear to be any trim clips (or any sealant for that matter) at the windshield - see attached. I have also included a cut away of my understanding of how the trim clips work, since I haven't seen the clips with my own eyes. Please tell me if my understanding is correct. Thanks again to all who are taking the time to help me with this.

IMG_2230 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2231 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2232 (Medium).JPG

Windshield Trim Clip - Cut Away (Medium).jpg

As you can see, there don't appear to be any trim clips (or any sealant for that matter) at the windshield - see attached. I have also included a cut away of my understanding of how the trim clips work, since I haven't seen the clips with my own eyes. Please tell me if my understanding is correct. Thanks again to all who are taking the time to help me with this.

Nice drawing! Clip & drawing correct but.....

We are romoving to reseal? Or windshield broke.
I'm pretty sure its just leaking.

I would do this before we get crazy with everything.
Lets go cheap and easy first.

Take off rest of trim carefully. This will releive enough pressure to be able to slip the tip to her! LOL!! Against the glass, inside the gasket channel NOT TOO MUCH, don't make a mess & buy the clean up wipes with the butyl sealer. Really messy!!

It looks as though you have PLENTY of sealer between seal and body.

You said earlier in thread that your gasket was wet. The only way the gasket could be wet was if it is comming around the glass. So look at the 67 step by step thread I have. You see where he is putting sealer between the actual glass and gasket by sticking tip into gasket against glass and squeezing the sealant in that space between gasket and glass as your going be sure to press gasket back down behind you. Wiping off spill over with glass installers wipes or paper towel, be careful very messy. Go all the way around the out side of the windshield. Make sure the gasket is all flattened out again like when first started. I would not reinstall molding yet.

Wait a couple of weeks while driving see if its still leaking.
If it's not leaking,goop up the gasket and press trim dowm like before or use 2 sided 3M trim tape and stick it all back on!!

If it is leaking, then we'll have to do the remove and reseal/replace route.

I would try the reseal first around the outside of the glass into gasket. This would be the cheapest and easiest way if it works and if it don't your out $15.00 for 1 tube NAPA butyl!

Keep us posted! 8)

64dart170,

Thanks again for all the help. You are correct - glass is not broken, just leaking. Since I would have to pull out the glass to install the clips, I'm going to hold off on that, as you suggested. I'll try sealing the gasket to the glass, and see how that works, then go from there. I was going to glue the trim back on for now, to save from pulling out the glass, but I guess I'll buy the clips so that I am ready if I need to replace the windshield in the future. At that point I can install the new clips and install the trim correctly.
I'll let you know how I make out with the sealant.
BlindSquirrel

64dart170,

Thanks again for all the help. You are correct - glass is not broken, just leaking. Since I would have to pull out the glass to install the clips, I'm going to hold off on that, as you suggested. I'll try sealing the gasket to the glass, and see how that works, then go from there. I was going to glue the trim back on for now, to save from pulling out the glass, but I guess I'll buy the clips so that I am ready if I need to replace the windshield in the future. At that point I can install the new clips and install the trim correctly.
BlindSquirrel

Wait a couple weeks on the trim replacement. That way we don't have to take off twice. Just clean & polish and PUT AWAY safe place for 2 weeks.
Keep checking for leaks.
This might work!
If not we go on!

We regroup for trim install later, and you can always sell clips or sell them to me for the next one I do in a month or so! LOL!!:cheers:

64dart170,

BlindSquirrel

Dude, You have to email me the drawing of the clip/gasket!!!

Your drawing is right on man!!! You can even see the screw holding the clip!!
AWESOME!!!!
You catch on quick!!!:cheers::read2:

When you go to apply sealant, heat tube on furnace register in house or defroster in car, lay in sun for hour. Then use as directed.
We've been known to have a wooden box with a heat lamp inside for this!8)

After I got all the trim off, I checked out the gasket, and it appears that no sealant was used. The gasket moved pretty freely on the car body, and you could easily separate the gasket from the glass. You could also see the little openings in the body caused by the "tabs" that seat the windshield gasket along the cowl (see photo). It appears that water was getting in through the openings for the tabs, among other areas. I sealed around the gasket, and sealed the gasket to the glass. We're supposed to have rain today, so we'll see how it holds up. Thanks for all the help.:-D

NO Sealant (Small).jpg

After I got all the trim off, I checked out the gasket, and it appears that no sealant was used. The gasket moved pretty freely on the car body, and you could easily separate the gasket from the glass. You could also see the little openings in the body caused by the "tabs" that seat the windshield gasket along the cowl (see photo). It appears that water was getting in through the openings for the tabs, among other areas. I sealed around the gasket, and sealed the gasket to the glass. We're supposed to have rain today, so we'll see how it holds up. Thanks for all the help.:-D

Funny you post this today!
I've had Fern out now for 2 days and has been raining sense this AM.
Looked inside sense we had just put that winshield in.
There was a small puddle drivers side, After laying on the wet rusty floor couldn't see real well where it was comming from. I found a gap in my sealer right where the very same body tab is!! Mine are even bigger on a couple where the old tabs rusted and I extended them on each side 1/4" to create new tabs. Luckily I talked them out of a tube of sealer. As soon as it stops raining I'll be doing the very same thing you are.
I would call the glass co. back out to finish sealing but if I do, they will stop doing classics. So I'll finish seal my self & get pics on here too for you! Sealer should be in 2 places, gasket to fence and gasket to glass on outside of glass in gasket channel.
Good Luck! Weird you pic that tab gap same time I found ours on Fern!8)

I'm gonna run another fresh bead all the way around making sure to fill tab holes first, then go around, then smash/bounce trim back on mine while the goop is still wet.

-
Back