Leaking wiper sockets

-

kyler

Reaction score
Alright... Story time.

The year was 1966 and a young man just got a job working at the A-body Plymouth factory. His job was to put gasket seal in the rear window of the Valiants. He did not know how to do this. So he did not. He was fired.

Jump to last week. I am trying to get my Valiant to stop letting rainwater in so I take it to Novus autoglass and ask them to reseal my windows. I know the old gaskets are impossible to find for the rear, so I figure this is the best course of action. The scrape out the old seal and completely redo it with new stuff. When the technician gets to the rear window, he comes into the lobby and tells me that "I have to come back to the garage and see this." He lifts the gasket a little with his tool and reveals a smooth, clean surface under the rear window seal. There was no glue. There was never any glue.

Long story short: They forgot to put the rear window seal in my 1966 Valiant. If my car hadn't been in a garage its whole life, it would be totally ruined from water damage.

Now that I have that off my chest (for which I feel much better), here is my real question: How do I seal the windshield wiper mechanism. That is the last leaking component of my car and I am not sure how to stop the water from getting in there. I know I need to pull it apart and reseal it, but what is involved? What do I need to buy? How can I do this the right way?

As a side note, while looking under my dash today, I saw the back of my instrument panel. The wiring all looks brand new. If you were to see it without context, you'd think it was a recent restoration job or a brand new car. How lucky I am :)

Thanks for the help! If this is too confusing of a thread (I realize I've ended up rambling) Just say so and I'll give the quick version in the comments! Thanks!

Correct kit above for the problem. USE ALL THE GASKETS AND SEALANT PROVIDED and follow the instructions. Take the wiper arms off and then remove the pivots out the bottom after disconnecting the arms to the motor. I have never heard of grease fittings here, but then I fiddle with later Darts, where you can take these out without removing the cluster.

Story #2 in 1976 my wife was driving a 70 dart that I still have in slow traffic, in the rain. Suddenly she felt cold water dripping on her right foot (from that same damned pivot seal). She was startled and looked down, and that's when the car in front of her hit their brakes and she rear ended them, which is how I ended up with a 71 grille in my 70 Dart - that was all the dealership could get to replace the broken one...

Correct kit above for the problem. USE ALL THE GASKETS AND SEALANT PROVIDED and follow the instructions. Take the wiper arms off and then remove the pivots out the bottom after disconnecting the arms to the motor. I have never heard of grease fittings here, but then I fiddle with later Darts, where you can take these out without removing the cluster.

Story #2 in 1976 my wife was driving a 70 dart that I still have in slow traffic, in the rain. Suddenly she felt cold water dripping on her right foot (from that same damned pivot seal). She was startled and looked down, and that's when the car in front of her hit their brakes and she rear ended them, which is how I ended up with a 71 grille in my 70 Dart - that was all the dealership could get to replace the broken one...

in 1968 I bought a brand new 383 form, S fastback, it leaked right from the factory. water drops would hit my feet in a rain storm. the windows leaked terribly in a car wash too !
just sayin.

Story #2 in 1976 my wife was driving a 70 dart that I still have in slow traffic, in the rain. Suddenly she felt cold water dripping on her right foot (from that same damned pivot seal). She was startled and looked down, and that's when the car in front of her hit their brakes and she rear ended them, which is how I ended up with a 71 grille in my 70 Dart - that was all the dealership could get to replace the broken one...[/QUOTE

I just ordered one of the seal kits off of eBay. Hopefully that works. I live in Wa where it rains a lot and don't like having soggy carpet :/:wack:

I really dont think they used any sealer on rear or front glass. All I have seen leak.

The grease fittings come in the seal kit and you are supposed to drill the pivot stem housing and insert the fittings so you can fill them with grease, not only to lube but to seal them if they are well worn enough that they might leak through the stem.

-
Back