leaks fuel when not running?

-

flhtlou

Reaction score
Ok guys, this is a strange one. i rebuilt the carb over the winter. car runs great, choke works and all. now the problem, and it doesn't do this all of the time, but on a couple of occasions when we shut off the engine fuel leaks out from the carb. and runs down the manifold and into the venturi of the carb. the first time it happened i took out the needle & seat expecting to find a piece of dirt or somthing. found nothing, put it back together and it was fine (new needle & seat from rebuild kit) seemed to be good for a couple of weeks, then yesterday i was showing the car to a friend and there it was leaking again. i drove it home and it ran fine. checked it again when i got home, no leak. took out the needle & seat again just to check it and found nothing again. it seems like when this does happen that there is pressure in the fuel line even though it's not running, and it pushes most of the fuel out of the fuel filter.
i'm thinking maybe a bad float? not putting enough pressure on the needle? i will pill the carb this weak end & check it out.
any other suggestions or help would be great.

64 225 carter carb 1barrel

thanks, lou

don't know about tank vent. are they vented through the cap? or have a seperate vent line?

lou

A presurized tank couldn't push all the fuel from the filter unless to tank was empty.
It may be a bad float or adjustment. If so parking on a hill will cause a leak when level ground doesn't.

I like the needle and seat, but I also suspect the float.
I ran into a similar situation on a float, it was binging up against the walls, and needle and seat were open.
I would also tweak the tab on the carb, to make sure the needle and seat are snug when closed. The setting could have softened over time, and so the needle and seat are not closing completely, when the float is up.

well, i pulled the carb off, took the top off, didn't find anything wrong. float is good. needle & seat were new in the rebuild kit, but i don't know how long this kit has been laying around.(got thekit with the car) so what i tried is lowering the float level just a little. it's back together and seems good, but it didn't do it all the time. i will keep an eye on it and if it does it again i think i will try to find another new needle & seat and see if that helps.
thanks, again for the help
lou

-
Back