Leaky line

-

rumblefish360

I have escaped the EVIL Empire State!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
As stated, the line out of the rear of the 904 is leaking. It is a small drip at idle, and like your taking a pee when in gear. I'm going to try this again, next nice day with some time to mess around. Probably tomorrow.
I'll disconnect the line at the rad/cooler first and the connect the line to the trans. first and to the cooler second.
Does this sound like the better way?
I think I'll have better luck, I hope.

The line is new and the fitting in good shape. I raided the fitting off a 727 at the back of the garage. I was told I could get these at Lowes or Ace hardware, but there not exactly the same and hard if not impossible to hook to the hard line.

The question of the thread is, does anyone use anything to help seal the lines threads?

Signed "Getting old, stiff and tired on my back." LOL

i have always got away without sealing the treads with anything, but íf i had a leak i woud try some of that real thinn plastic made for sealing threads, no idea what its called in english

signed "still young and stupid enough to apreciate lying on my back under a greasy old car and thats probably why it wont leak for me"

Be careful with the teflon tape. It acts as a lubricant on the threads of the fitting. It makes it easy to over-tighten it. Just go enough to stop the leak. You might also try just a LITTLE teflon thread sealant paste on the mating surfaces of your line & fitting. It's usually found in the plumbing section at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Hey, Swingtown! I go to Santa Fe every August for vacation! Love it there, but it ain't the same as it was in the sixties!

:burnout:

duster340 said:
signed "still young and stupid enough to apreciate lying on my back under a greasy old car and thats probably why it wont leak for me"

LOL! He he he he. Thats great!
Well, myself, at 40, still don't mind it. But it's getting cold and my bones are allways outside. I work outside at night doing Inspections and running repair work on rail road cars. So the tolorence level is dropping, but the heart keeps going.
I actually forget my age alot. But the body reminds me after awhile. NO, 40 isn't old.

Rumble your right about the ones at Lowes, Ace, etc. not being exactly the same. Theres 2 different angles on flare fittings and to look at them with the naked eye you can't tell them apart. One is 37 degrees and the other one is 43 degrees if I remember right. Anyway you have to have the right one or they won't seal right. The one from the 727 should have worked. If it's leaking from between the 2 fittings thats not good because sealer won't usually help there because the flare is what seals things. Even though it's a new line look at the flared surface closely to make sure they didn't crack it when they made it. It could still be the adapter fitting also if the fitting sealing surface is just worn out. Of course if it's coming out from the trans side of the fitting the sealer should help.

Thanks Fishy. I went back and noticed that the line is cocked and the leak is not from the threads, but the ill fitting angle. I didn't get to yesterday. Maybe later. My joints are kickin.

What I'll have to do is disconnect the line and straighten it out for additinal length and bend for a better angle. I'll do the trans line fitting first and them the fitting to the rad.

After short intervals of baby sitting and catching up on sleep and many ther interuptions that plauge my world.
Just want to add, so far so good. I bent the line a tad to much, but it was not a problem. Hooked it up and drove the driveway a few times. Thats when it leaked last time, in gear. Line pressure went up and the line looked like it was pee'ing.

Well, I warmed up the engine, drove the driveway and after a 15 second burnout, nothing, no leaks.

Thanks for everybodys help.

-
Back