Leaky master cylinder

-

bbizelli

Reaction score
Hey guys about a month and a half ago i bought a master cylinder from my local advance auto parts. It was a refurbished one and it leaks the same if not more then my 40 year old one... I think it may be leaking out of the top of it. It has a gasket and all on it just not sure if the bar clamp (or whatever its called) puts enough pressure on it. Also it only seems to be the rear reservoir that leaks. Any ideas? Thanks.

Check the sealing surface on the top of the MC. They are not always perfectly smooth. If it has a small grove or imperfection, that is where it will leak. If this is the case, take the MC back, and get one that is smooth.Do Not use any kind of glue or sealant on your gasket. The brake fluid will eat it up, with the possibility of it getting in the system. You could also try a new gasket or lower the brake fluid a little.

ill probably get a new gasket first. I dont think it clamps down hard enough on the cap tho but not sure if i can fix that. Also i put a little bit of Teflon tape on the threads before i screwed them in if that would make a different? Not realizing that its all flared and should just seal itself. Also it tends to happen more if i do a burn out or holeshot if that makes a difference...

"Remanufactured" brake master cylinders are typically just as bad as "remanufactured" carburetors, "remanufactured" starters, "remanufactured" alternators, etc.

Get a new master cylinder.

yeah my thoughts too just trying to save some $$$ I thought about getting the red bore? Or what ever its called i saw them in mt mopar muscle magazine anyone have experience with those?

No need to spend $$$ on fancy exotic items. Just get a new stock-type master cylinder and you should be fine.

Mine is doing the same thing. Can't find one like mine at the local parts stores. I found one but is a later model type.

Should not be difficult; what year and model are you working on and what kind of brake system has it got (power/nonpower, 4-wheel 10" drum, 4-wheel 9" drum, disc/drum)?

Should not be difficult
Recalls a recent Hawaii Five-O episode where McGarrett Jr was thrilled when a guy produced an MC for the 70's Mercury he was rebuilding, one he couldn't locate anywhere. Couldn't the writers have thought of a more unusual part? I think brake parts are pretty common and standard across many manufacturers.

Most TV and film writers don't know a thing about old cars, so they just make up some BS they think sounds plausible. Reminds me of the "Star Trek: Voyager" episode where Cap'n Janeway's great-grandmother (or whatever) is driving along in a '70s Ford Country Squire which quits running with the usual assortment of televisionland noises that don't actually happen in real life. The diagnosis? "A faulty oil pan". Um...right. :roll:

(And don't get me started on all the sound effects idiots who make Mopars sound like Chevrolets or Toyotas or Fords when they're being cranked and started)

Only problem with new is it's from China,and likely not much better..

Check at at Advanced Auto for a Wagner brand.
Quality of Wagner is pretty good.

Wagner would actually be one of my last choices in brake parts. Quality is generally not as good as Raybestos or Bendix.

I usually stick with Raybestos,rather than try to find parts made here. I've had good luck with Rabestos.

the leak is going to be out the rear of the master where the push rod is i just change mine there times before i got a non leaker.

-
Back