Learning elctric bass? ... Share your thoughts,gotta learn somewhere...

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I have to express,myself somewhere. Always, wanted to learn electric 4 string bass.The guys,from N&P rock.Share your knowledge, if willing.

Frankie plays. Maybe he'll chime in.

He has,as well as M/T... Thanks,Rusty.Those two,more than gave m;e the skinny.

I don't play bass, but I do play guitar, mandolin a little banjo and I am trying to learn the cello again. Used to play that in grammar school.

I whipped this out the other day for 74PoisonDart. He wanted to see the style of slide guitar I play so here it is. Sorry it's not better. I need to brush up. I don't play much anymore.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xIKrTyuTz58"]SHITIFIKNOW - YouTube[/ame]

I don't play bass, but I do play guitar, mandolin a little banjo and I am trying to learn the cello again. Used to play that in grammar school.

Wanna make some money getting beer bottles thrown at ya? I find myself with some extra time on my hands, lately. lol

Bass is easy to learn/get started, but requires a measure of ambition and skill to master.

Months ago my roommate came home from work and picked up my only bass guitar from the row of electric guitars I have along the wall. So I looked up a few tabs for him on my computer, dusted off my half-stack and Stratocaster, and we had a jam night while I taught him to play bass.

Within an hour he was playing a whole song, within 3 hours he had memorized several songs and was starting to try out stuff that he had thought would be fun.

I wish I could say I learned that fast when I picked up an electric guitar for the first time, but I'd be lying. Then again I had no idea what I was doing then, and didn't have anyone to teach me anything. That must be the difference between having someone standing nearby telling you stuff and suggesting what to do/not to do. I was far from what you'd call a great teacher, but I seem to have passed on enough info to get another to pick up a guitar.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y4g7W6zKos"]Bass Tournament - YouTube[/ame]

IMO- the trick to being a good bass player is being really tight with the drummer and reasonably tight with the guitars.

It's an art.

Some bass,
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfuExbhkA3c"]VAN HALEN ultra bass Michael Anthony - YouTube[/ame]
Then the aftermath,
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_2gP-uQXu4"]Hitler learns that Michael Anthony will not be touring with Van Halen - YouTube[/ame]

My fingers don't "reach" anymore. Couple 'years ago I bought a baritone Uke just to make some noise on. "a few chords," LOL The key is "less strings" LOL

Practice , practice , practice , play , play , play !!
So many more tools these days !!
I play guitar mainly, but I have a bass and can play it as well.
Now with YouTube and the net you are covered.
When I started it was keep moving the needle on the turn table to learn the part ,
Then it was rewind the cassette !
Best of luck !!
5 good reasons not to practice ?
There
Are
No
Good
Reasons

Wanna make some money getting beer bottles thrown at ya?

Not particularly. I have a short fuse for that kinda thing. Somebody would have a Silvertone crammed up their *** and I would be in jail.

Yall do any 12 bar stuff? I could probably sit in well with some kinda blues shuffle on slide. I MIGHT could even fret out some slow to moderate 12 bar lead if I dust myself off enough. My problem is debilitating stage fright. I shake so bad I can't do anything. But.......I've never actually done it enough to see if I could ever get over it.

Not particularly. I have a short fuse for that kinda thing. Somebody would have a Silvertone crammed up their *** and I would be in jail.

Yall do any 12 bar stuff? I could probably sit in well with some kinda blues shuffle on slide. I MIGHT could even fret out some slow to moderate 12 bar lead if I dust myself off enough. My problem is debilitating stage fright. I shake so bad I can't do anything. But.......I've never actually done it enough to see if I could ever get over it.

blind fold or turn around

Believe me, that wouldn't do it. LOL It's gonna have to be something I get over.....IF I can.

A good place to start is to learn your major scales in all twelve keys. Everything is based off of the major scales in one way or another. Sing the note names as you play them, and then sing the scale degree number as you play them. Don't try to play fast right off the bat. Proficiency will develop speed. Learn your circle of 5ths/4ths. This is just a table of the twelve major keys and their relative minor keys. There are probably a lot of youtube videos to help beginners and intermediate players, and literally tons of books on the subject. Don't forget that music is supposed to be FUN!!! Good luck.

You do that to a vintage Silvertone, and I'll call the friggin' cops!

Yall do any 12 bar stuff? I could probably sit in well with some kinda blues shuffle on slide. I MIGHT could even fret out some slow to moderate 12 bar lead if I dust myself off enough.

All you want.

My problem is debilitating stage fright. I shake so bad I can't do anything. But.......I've never actually done it enough to see if I could ever get over it.

Yeah... you were kinda quiet the other day. If it wasn't for Kitty, I'd thought i was alone. :poke:

I need to get your *** off the couch and onto a stage with your ax, and a bottle of Jack, and all your inhibitions will fly out the window. Get you to the point where your left eye is so pretty that your right eye will keep lookin' at it, and you'll be ready.
Just stay awake!

Southern Comfort is my liquor of choice. And that's really how you can tell I am getting tired. I have trouble holding my bad eye open when I start to get tired. Just always been like that. Maybe we could get together sometime and see what all I could make fit in. It might not be worth it. LOL

You do that to a vintage Silvertone, and I'll call the friggin' cops!

All you want.

Yeah... you were kinda quiet the other day. If it wasn't for Kitty, I'd thought i was alone. :poke:

I need to get your *** off the couch and onto a stage with your ax, and a bottle of Jack, and all your inhibitions will fly out the window. Get you to the point where your left eye is so pretty that your right eye will keep lookin' at it, and you'll be ready.
Just stay awake!

-
Back