Least Favorite thing to work on a car.

-

rp23g7

Reaction score
Bored at work again, slow day.

I search for this, but didnt find it.

So, we all love working on our old MoPars, but there has got to be at least one job on it that you must absolutly hate doing.

What is it?

Mine?

I have had to drop the tank on ever old Mopar to replace the float or sending unit, or to clean the tank out, hate that job. Getting ready to do it on the Coronet.
Such a pain.

I worked at Mazda for a while, hated doing timing belts on 6 cyl MPV's

Worked at Chrysler once too, want to replace a horn on a Cirrus, I had to take half the stuff out of the front end.

I will never buy a older car with AC again after having my heater core go out on a 79 Ford LTD, that car had it in for me.

Whats yours? Everybody must have one.

I restore cars as a hobby, I think stripping paint has to be at the top of my "I hate to do list" :munky2:

I always hated doing exhaust work. Always said to people "Figure out how long you think it's going to take, then double it. Then it's going to take twice as long as that." Have to say that heater cores & paint stripping rank right up there with the exhaust as being a pita.

Trouble shooting wiring under the dash!!! I'm a pretty big guy so I have to dam near take a seat out to get under there and once I'm under there I can never reach my beer ... lol...
icon12.gif

Trouble shooting wiring under the dash!!! I'm a pretty big guy so I have to dam near take a seat out to get under there and once I'm under there I can never reach my beer ... lol...
icon12.gif

Thats another reason i will never by a AC car, dont mind tracing wires, but under dash work irritates me too.

I find myself hating to do little trim piece installation, like on the interiors, or the rubber around the doors....which is probably why my '67 convertible cuda STILL doesn't have all that windshield chrome pieces installed.....(it's been years).....I think all those different lengths/styles/heads of screws (which I forgot long ago..) is what makes my blood boil.

Laying on my back, with a 727 balancing on my floor jack, trying to stab it in and jack up the jack with my leg. LOL. Until recently it was in the driveway.

Laying on my back, with a 727 balancing on my floor jack, trying to stab it in and jack up the jack with my leg. LOL. Until recently it was in the driveway.

OH, OH, yeah, i forgot about that new found hate, i had to replace my flex plate on the Scamp when i had it, on my back, in the garage at least, in 20 degree temps.

I'm with you on the gas tank work. No 1 for me.
No 2 would be anything related to coolant. The stuff somehow gets evrywhere except into a drain pan. Seems like even with best planning it makes it's way to your elbow before you know it has been released from the block, it follows the most unlikly path to the garage floor or carpet or anywhere it's not supposed to be and you WILL taste it before the job is complete.

I hate having to drop the tranny pan.. For whatever reason it irratates the hell out of me.. No matter how hard I try I get tranny fluid all over the place, (especially all over my arm and sleeves) .. and my ultimate hate.. body work, more specifically, sanding.. I have no body work skills.. my friends see high spots and low spots, I cant ever seem to see or feel.. It seems like sanding filler takes FOREVER lol.. I simply dont have the patience.. I try.. but in the end, I am paying my friends with beer to finishh it LOL

I'm with you on the gas tank work. No 1 for me.
No 2 would be anything related to coolant. The stuff somehow gets evrywhere except into a drain pan. Seems like even with best planning it makes it's way to your elbow before you know it has been released from the block, it follows the most unlikly path to the garage floor or carpet or anywhere it's not supposed to be and you WILL taste it before the job is complete.

I'm with you there, even doing a water pump or a upper rad hose, when you dont even need to get under the car, i manage to get anti freeze in my mouth somehow.

OH, OH, yeah, i forgot about that new found hate, i had to replace my flex plate on the Scamp when i had it, on my back, in the garage at least, in 20 degree temps.

I forgot to mention clearing all the snow from under it first. LOL Thanks for reminding me.

You guys are makin' me LMAO.....oh yeah, Stevedemon.....I hear ya on that trans thing...with the leg as a "helper".....shiiiiittt....how 'bout stabbin' an A-833, after "supposedly" aligning the clutch with that cheap plastic aligning tool?!? After it fell off the jack a few times, I was ready to launch it thru the windshield!!!

Talk about needing a damn beer afterwards......

Oh man.... there are so many things....you guys already listed a lot of them. I hate shredding my knuckles on a radiator when doing the bolts on a flex fan. I hate anything to do with the trans pan and oil pan. Under dash work sucks and so does most heater core repairs. Heck even spark plugs can be a real pain on some cars....

-RPM

You guys are makin' me LMAO.....oh yeah, Stevedemon.....I hear ya on that trans thing...with the leg as a "helper".....shiiiiittt....how 'bout stabbin' an A-833, after "supposedly" aligning the clutch with that cheap plastic aligning tool?!? After it fell off the jack a few times, I was ready to launch it thru the windshield!!!

Talk about needing a damn beer afterwards......

YES! That USLESS plastic alignment tool. Even if you left it in till the last minute. They always get turned. @#@%$%$# GET IN THERE!!! %$#$#@
LOL

I always hated doing exhaust work. Always said to people "Figure out how long you think it's going to take, then double it. Then it's going to take twice as long as that." Have to say that heater cores & paint stripping rank right up there with the exhaust as being a pita.

I agree, no matter how much you work at the exhaust, you get filthy. It has to be the dirtiest and most awkward job.
Back in the day, when brakes shoes were asbestos, they were almost as bad, but the new stuff doesn't seem quite as dirty.

Putting Headers on an A Body Duster also along with that installing the starter on an A Body with Headers.Removing Spark Plug with headers for cylinders #5 and # 7, Body Work, Bending up Transmission Cooling Lines, Wiring, Rear Differential Oil change.

Exhaust!!! Sucks big timw when lying on your back in the driveway.No way will I do it anymore,unless I get to chop it all out and start with new.

Oh man.... there are so many things....you guys already listed a lot of them. I hate shredding my knuckles on a radiator when doing the bolts on a flex fan. I hate anything to do with the trans pan and oil pan. Under dash work sucks and so does most heater core repairs. Heck even spark plugs can be a real pain on some cars....

-RPM

Man plugs, mine with my headers are magically easy to get to. I did a tune up on a Cordoba once, the guy said it had a 440, but i think it was a 400, i dont think they put a 440 in those.

The manifolds were probably 1/2 to 3/4 away from the inner fenders, this dude had just came of the freeway and wanted the plugs done now cause he was late.

It had barely enough room to get my had between the fender and the manifold. I squeezed my had beteen them gritting my teeth all the way, it was hot. No dang sleeves. I dropped on of the plugs and instictivly grabbed for it, jamming my wrist between the fender and the burning hot manifold,

MMMM Smell of burned flesh, i still have that scar.

no1 replacing shifter cables it looked really easy but it took my 3hrs laying on my back adjusting and adjusting idk why but i hate it. no2 sanding like others ive seen said (ive found some great sandpaper tho recently its called sandblast sandpaper) its green and works alot easyer.

Depending on brand and fit... drivers side headers on an A-body... I am not a fan LOL ... I used every curse word possible getting mine on and tightened up, even came up with a few new, made up curse words LOL

-
Back