Leaving the patina

-

Oldschoolcuda

Early-A Body Nerd
Reaction score
Mulling over what to do with paint on my 65 dart nostalgia drag car build. Seems like patina is in and paint/body costs are $$$$$$
Was leaning towards leaving her as is and clear coating then spending on suspension mods.
This video clinched it. lol.

IMG_0172.JPG

yup

the paint on my duster was redone by one of the previous owners and is a 6 or 7 out of 10

it is GREAT to be able to drive to the store, park withing sight of the front door and not have to worry about getting a door or stray cart bumped into it
(dont get me wrong, i hate it when that happens, but it wont make a terrible difference in the grand scheme of things)

Never thought I'd say this but more I look at it the patina look just pops on this dart for some reason. Maybe I've convinced myself because of paint cost lol.
Body as is with some oldschool steelies out back and cragers or American racing wheels up front and she will rock.

I'm leaving mine just the way it is for now too!! A repaint will be in its future at some time, but not the near future!!

IMG_2963.JPG

I think alot of times it just aint worth the Time and effort to paint it. Drive as is and have tons of fun doing so. Knowing you dont care if the paint gets a Chip or scratch is such a relief too me.

Unless you have a super rare car, leave the paint the way it is and put that money under the car.

IMG_0081.JPG
Unless you have a super rare car, leave the paint the way it is and put that money under the car.

No doubt. Can upgrade to front disc brakes and still have money for wheels/tires as opposed to paint job.The few that have seen her already freak out when the hood is poped and they view the engine bay.lol.

Only you can decide..... Some patina just looks better than others.... My Bumpers look like crap and I decided to do something about it.... Opinions vary though and since you own it do what you want....

JW

I've been waffling on the same issue with my belvedere. I'd like to paint it but now that I'm racing it more, I've been considering leaving it. As you can see, my junk has "considerable" patina.

IMG_0316.JPG

patina , i've been that way since i was a kid . love that look , any body can have and keep a shinny ride . just try and keeping the others from destroying your vintage aged look can be more difficult than polishing it .

As long as there's enough paint left on it to keep the rust away, leave it and drive the crap out of it. :thumbsup:

I've been waffling on the same issue with my belvedere. I'd like to paint it but now that I'm racing it more, I've been considering leaving it. As you can see, my junk has "considerable" patina.

View attachment 1715006019
I have the same look going on with my Polara, only the previous owner sprayed primer over the paint, so I have both paint and surface rust popping through. I was going to paint it, but I think I'll fix the bubbles behind the rear wheels, and spray more primer on and seal it with flat clear. It gets a lot of attention looking far from perfect, and I love the car more than I ever thought I would.

When it come to painting, I'm learning to leave well enough alone, let the next owner, pick a paint code.
I did recently slap the 92 flat bed with a brush
after resealing the rain gutter.

SAM_3869_zpssugz3oqo.jpg

The Dart, gets wiped down with a scrub pad, if it rains, pressure washer, if no rain
It's had open heart surgery so many times in its life, with scars on the fenders, that now its better to just drop the engines out the bottom.

Ain't got no wrinkles, just faded paint, a few plastic bolt ons

006-7_zps39478e9b.jpg

And old blue, wanting to get out of the Barn
even with a nice paint job, nobody wants her,
Guess that's why she still here.
bigger turbo and injects won over a new paint job.

They all wear the scratches with honor

SAM_3857.JPG

Once you paint it you will quickly see how old all of the other parts look. Then you will be having the bumpers done, new tail lights, exterior trim polished, and so on.....

The money will be flowing out of your *** like lava.

You remeber the rattacuda before i sold it . nuff said the 2 i had that was ratty i had more fun in lol

Not so much patina, but original paint...and dents. I never worry about where I park the cuda. Kinda like that it doesn't look like much, and runs 11's in full street trim.

IMG_1209.JPG

1st run.jpg

I bought a restored painted body and it got a few small dings and scratches on it during reassembly. Mostly because of my own inexperience. I feel it would look way better if the paint wasn't nice, then the mild damage would blend in better. Unless it's a showcar, leave the patina!

Cley

32.jpg

Patina is good as long as it's natural and not clear coated like a lot of people do.
Clear coat is a must in my area even for a garaged classic. We get 50 inches of rain here a yr. and humidity is always high. Patina wouldn't make it 6 month's before it was serious rust.

Clear coat is a must in my area even for a garaged classic. We get 50 inches of rain here a yr. and humidity is always high. Patina wouldn't make it 6 month's before it was serious rust.

I would rather see primer...but like has been said ...your car your choice...Will still be a cool car no matter what.

-
Back