LED Dash light Frustration

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
So I was wanting to find a way to upgrade the dash cluster lights. They were very dim.

Thought I would use led bulbs, so bought some blue 194 style leds.
Got them in, and yep they were blue, but still pretty dark, even after removing the blue diffuser lenses.

So based on some other info I'd see posted here, I went and bought the Sylvania superbright amber bulbs. Put them in and the brightness is better, but still not what id call great. First I drove all over the county to four different AutoZone's, since they seem to be the only local parts store that had them. Each store had one in stock, so blew a couple hours just getting the bulbs.
So they are in, look decent, but before I place the cluster back into the dash, I check a couple other things. My turn signal indicators no longer work, same for the highbeam indicator.
Now I left regular bulbs in those cause I figured they were a different circuit that the actual dash lights. The other weird thing, if I have a regular bulb in the highbeam indicator, turn on my headlights, the dash lights in the parking light position, but with the headlights on, the dash goes dark. If I take that bulb out, the dash lights work in parking position and with headlights on.
What am I missing here? I only put led's in the four positions that actually light the dash. Left regular bulbs in the turn signal positions, highbeam, and oil light.
Do I have to use led's in every position? or what the hell am I doing wrong.

Very frustrated at this point, feel like just putting my original regular bulbs back in and saying screw it.

Do you have your headlight switch turned all the way up? (instrument light dimmer)

So I was wanting to find a way to upgrade the dash cluster lights. They were very dim.

Thought I would use led bulbs, so bought some blue 194 style leds.
Got them in, and yep they were blue, but still pretty dark, even after removing the blue diffuser lenses.

So based on some other info I'd see posted here, I went and bought the Sylvania superbright amber bulbs. Put them in and the brightness is better, but still not what id call great. First I drove all over the county to four different AutoZone's, since they seem to be the only local parts store that had them. Each store had one in stock, so blew a couple hours just getting the bulbs.
So they are in, look decent, but before I place the cluster back into the dash, I check a couple other things. My turn signal indicators no longer work, same for the highbeam indicator.
Now I left regular bulbs in those cause I figured they were a different circuit that the actual dash lights. The other weird thing, if I have a regular bulb in the highbeam indicator, turn on my headlights, the dash lights in the parking light position, but with the headlights on, the dash goes dark. If I take that bulb out, the dash lights work in parking position and with headlights on.
What am I missing here? I only put led's in the four positions that actually light the dash. Left regular bulbs in the turn signal positions, highbeam, and oil light.
Do I have to use led's in every position? or what the hell am I doing wrong.

Very frustrated at this point, feel like just putting my original regular bulbs back in and saying screw it.
LED are polarized, if some don't work try turning them around in the socket.

-
Back