LED light strip for gage housing redux

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Awhile back I posted about 5630 LED dimmable peel and light strips for our cars. I used the solid green on my 67 barracuda, however it's just a really harsh green. So this christmas we get one of the kids the peel n stick LED with the tri color blue, red, green and a controller to set about 12 different colors. There was about 15 ft of leftover strip after we put it up. Always a thinking man I took it to the shop and put 12V to it. I found that if you run the red and green powered up together it makes a shade approximating the chrysler green. Pix dont do it justice. I am also thinking since the controller for one of these is pretty inexpensive off ebay that these can be wired in the gage bucket with the controller and you can do a backlighting color change when you decide you want something different. 4th pic is the chrysler green, like I said it doesnt look it unless you see it in person. My 2007 mustang has a similar setup where you can switch the backlighting as well. Pix 5 and 6 are what I initially put in my cuda dash. You can see the harshness of its green

20210103_113612.jpg

20210103_113622.jpg

20210103_113550.jpg

20210103_114000.jpg

downloadfile.jpg

downloadfile-1.jpg

So how did you mix two colors? Did you run two strips? What's that look like in the cluster?

• Red solder tab
  • Blue solder tab
  • Green solder tab

• 12V DC power in

• The other 3 tabs labelled R,G,B are the negative side. The LEDs are "tri color" they emit all 3 colors.

Apply power to both red/blue
Result purple

Apply power to both red/green
Result light green (chrysler green)

Apply power to both blue/green
Result light blue

Typical primary color mixing you learn in grade school

As stated in original post I used single color dimmable green LEDs in my cluster. That's what in pics 5-6. I just powered up this tri color strip today on my workbench

Last edited:
I imagine they will. The controller my kid has, does about 12-14 different colors. The only way your going to get that with 3 primary colors is to phase the brightness and dimness of each color when they are mixing. Kinda like how a color TV set works.

I have no idea. The strip was not labelled with what it was. Only had this on it. The 3 segment cut line.

20210103_141600.jpg

I imagine they will. The controller my kid has, does about 12-14 different colors. The only way your going to get that with 3 primary colors is to phase the brightness and dimness of each color when they are mixing. Kinda like how a color TV set works.
I'm sure you are right. Took me a long time to learn about color shift with photography under flourescent lamps. As they come on and diminish back off with the rise and fall of the AC wave, and depending on "at what point" the shutter fires, the color shifts

Hi Matt, Im thinking of doing the LED strip for our 67. Im looking to replicate the factory "color" but brighten it up if that makes sense. I dont want the LED's overpowering. They dont react to dimming too well.
Any suggestions?
Yours turned out awesome and love the creativity!:thumbsup:

Hi Steve,

I must have missed your reply. The tricolor LED strip has to be a dimming type as the way to get about 14 colors out of it is by the 3 primary strip colors phasing to bright or dim to mix and make other colors. With this in mind you may be able to dim the entire strip. Maybe not. I'm thinking of taking it back apart to run the tricolor LEDs this way I can change the color whenever I want. This being said the green 5630 LEDs in my pix are dimmable, but are bright even with a 9 volt battery. I think the tricolor ones wont be as overpowering. Only one way to test the theory though is to try them. The strip is cheap enough by itself if you wanted to buy just the strip itself, and connect just the red and green to get that chrysler blue/green look to try it out. I think 5 meters of it will run you about $10 off evilbay. The controller for it can be had seperately as well.

-
Back