Left hand lug nuts are back, baby!

-
IMG_7383.gif

Sadly, a lot of tire places did not torque lug nuts, let a lone even tighten them. Hence the correct theoretical benefit of left hand thread studs and nuts. Unfortunately the same morons could not, or would not, notice the different color or the letter "L" on the end of the stud and ruined or broke the stud(s). Evidently Chrysler gave up and just made right hand threaded wheel studs, since there were more problems with the left hand studs out in the ignorant public. That being said, how many people actually use a torque wrench to tighten their lug nuts, let alone use anti-seize like me.

Wait a minute...

you're the guy that told be I couldn't put 255/60/15 tires on 6.5" rally wheels after I did it.

...and the guy that told me I had to move the spring perches on a 67 B body 8 3/4 axle for it to work in a 73 Duster...after I did it without moving them.

Never mind.

It was a lousy idea and added absolutely no extra measure of safety.
It did however lead to untold cases of people snapping off lug bolts thinking they were loosening the nut.
I bought a chicken coupe find 65 Barracuda from an old school hardcore general motors guy several years ago. 3 of the studs were broken off the rear axle and the tire on that axle was the only one that was flat. Apparently he just didn't get it!

Sadly, a lot of tire places did not torque lug nuts, let a lone even tighten them. Hence the correct theoretical benefit of left hand thread studs and nuts. Unfortunately the same morons could not, or would not, notice the different color or the letter "L" on the end of the stud and ruined or broke the stud(s). Evidently Chrysler gave up and just made right hand threaded wheel studs, since there were more problems with the left hand studs out in the ignorant public. That being said, how many people actually use a torque wrench to tighten their lug nuts, let alone use anti-seize like me.

Funny story, the trailer sales company I just bought a trailer from uses a torque wrench to tighten their lug nuts. And made me sign an acknowledgment that I had been read the torque intervals for the wheels at 50, 100, and 1,000 miles. (New wheels and axles). I’m guessing they’ve been sued before because of guys like YY1 that never check their lug nuts.

Chrysler was the last hold out on LH lugs, everyone else got rid of them years before. Which probably didn’t help the situation in the tire shops.

Wait a minute...

you're the guy that told be I couldn't put 255/60/15 tires on 6.5" rally wheels after I did it.

...and the guy that told me I had to move the spring perches on a 67 B body 8 3/4 axle for it to work in a 73 Duster...after I did it without moving them.

Never mind.

I probably said something like it’s against the manufacturers recommendations, which exist because of physics and engineering recommendations. People do stupid crap all the time and get away with it, it’s still stupid.

And I’m beginning to understand why you’re the kind of person that’s had wheels fall off their car and then makes up excuses for why that wasn’t just the consequences of their poor choices.

You’re seriously saying your car goes down the road with oversized tires crammed on undersized wheels, side loaded, misaligned leaf springs and loose lugs nuts? And we’re supposed to listen to your advice?

Last edited:
This entire conversation is funny to read to me because I work as a mechanical engineer and design machinery for a living. And I've used electric motors all the way up to the 3,000 - 4000 HP range... And gear systems up to 30,000RPM's...

So the theories everyone has about rotational forces loosening lug nuts and all the other opinions are a good read.

Do you know how many times I've saw a need to use Left Hand Thread with hole pattern centered around the rotating axis for any reason? None

The only time I have saw a need to use Left Hand Threads is when there is just one bolt holding something on mounted on center of the rotating axis and the direction of rotation. Like a bike pedal. Or if you want to turn say a turnbuckle and want something to expand and contract between two points.

This entire conversation is funny to read to me because I work as a mechanical engineer and design machinery for a living. And I've used electric motors all the way up to the 3,000 - 4000 HP range... And gear systems up to 30,000RPM's...

So the theories everyone has about rotational forces loosening lug nuts and all the other opinions are a good read.

Do you know how many times I've saw a need to use Left Hand Thread with hole pattern centered around the rotating axis for any reason? None

The only time I have saw a need to use Left Hand Threads is when there is just one bolt holding something on mounted on center of the rotating axis and the direction of rotation. Like a bike pedal. Or if you want to turn say a turnbuckle and want something to expand and contract between two points.
Or on a grinding wheel, on a bench grinder.

-
Back