Left turn signal issue.

-

dennday67

Reaction score
Okay so heres whats going on with my 68 plymouth Valiant. When the left signal is on it stays solid so no intermittent signal. (last year I had to soder the front turn signal housing because it had a bad ground from the socket to the housing) Both front and rear light are bright so no burned out bulbs (all lights on the car are new). The right signal work correctly. All 4 lights flash when the hazzards are on. I was told its in the switch and not the flasher relay so I was hoping to get a second opinion before I order a new switch.

Doubtful it's the switch. Try swapping the 4x flasher for the turn flasher.

There are only 3 sources of power "to" the signal system, barring shorts/ wiring faults

1--brake light switch, provides power into the column switch only when the brake pedal is depressed. Easy to eliminate that as a source

2--turn signal flasher power, so power with key in run comes to, through the flasher and to the TS switch

3--4x Flasher switch, dash mounted is a 4 terminal switch. With the switch off, all 4 terminals are isolated. With switch on, all 4 are connected together. 4x flasher power comes to one terminal, and one terminal goes to the brake light switch line, which then feeds through the TS switch to both rear lamps. The other two terminals go to each, left, and right, front lamps

So you have to ask yourself, "what is lighting" those lamps?

You can make sure the brake light switch is off

Make sure the park/ tail lights are off

You can reach around and unplug the 4x flasher switch

That leaves only the TS flasher, and a wiring harness fault.

Try a different flasher. Either swap the two around, or buy a new one--they are not expensive.

Pull all bulbs and check them

Thank you 67dart273 as always you have been extreamly insightful and have given me the info I needed to track down the problem (and not just throw parts at it).

i have a similar problem to with left hand side of my car. my singal light works not the brake light. know u mean its get very annoyin.

i have a similar problem to with left hand side of my car. my singal light works not the brake light. know u mean its get very annoyin.

This type of problem is almost always a bad signal switch. The brake light switch power feeds INTO the signal switch and the signal switch then routes the power to both turn signal lamps, depending on whether the switch is centered or on one turn signal.

So if the signals work properly, this means the bulbs and harness/ wiring is OK, and if one brake light works, this means the brake light switch is OK and getting power to the TS switch.

On the newer cars with the 4X flasher switch integral in the TS switch, there used to be a popular failure involving that part of the switch. "Back then" I ....."fixed".... a few poor sailer's cars temporarily by cutting off the 4x flasher knob (no longer used) and re--routing one or two wires in the signal switch. It got them "on the road" with little more than some time and a non--functional 4x flasher

Thanks again 67dart273 for the helpful tips. I swapped relays and it worked so a new $12 relay and everything is back to working order. Now on to the headlight upgrade.

-
Back